Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Corvair power?

Default Re: Corvair power?

True Mnflyer ,..but my point was in saying that ,..was that there is only a single piston per cylinder,..as for noticing a possible failure in the ignition system ,..a dual ignition will hide some of the foretold warning signs,..
    a hot coil or a coil with a crack will run great until you put it under a load,..not saying all would use an auto ignition system ,..but I;m sure some would,..
    I am going to use an auto ignition system on the motor I'm using ,.it's a 2009 ford 2.0 DOHC
    it's 140 HP at 212 lbs, motor alone ,..no add on's,..but I plan on building new manifolds to lose some weight,..it will be a learning process,.I'm sure that no one has used this conversion yet.
    it will need a reduction unit ,..the power/torque band comes in at 4500 rpm so I won't be turning 5k and up RPMS all the time ,..in the auto ,,it get's 35 mpg,..
    I bought a 2009 model car with this motor in it for the purpose of studying it .
    The advantages of this motor being that it's of todays technology ,..it is also the motor used on the rally cars and there are already allot of components that they make for this engine to lighten it ,..aluminum harmonic balancer,..aluminum flywheel ,..etc and heavy duty ignition systems,..and it will burn corn fuel all day long or alcohol,..aviation fuel etc.

Chase

So how much does the reduction unit you're going to use weigh for that Ford 2.0? Because if you really want to measure apple-for-apple to the Corvair, that's the figure you need. Comparing the engine weight alone is artificial if/since/because you'll be adding more weight to make it useful in the plane and I won't with my Corvair.

good point ..the reduction unit will have some weight ,..but ,.. by using the reduction unit I eliminate having to go inside the engine with any machining for thrust plates/bearings ,..the PRSU will have timken bearings so no end loads on the motor,..the only load on the motor will be in the direction it was built for.
    I can build a PRSU for this motor and have it weigh in at around 10 lbs or less ..the bearings ,..there are no short cuts,.. they are what they are ,..you can not make them out of any other product besides ( added weight ) steel,.except for ceramic,..the cost of ceramic timken bearings for a PRSU,.. I might as well buy a rotax 912 and be done with it,..this would only be to lose ounces in weight so not justifyable ,..although ceramic bearings are the best of the best,..
    So in effect ..1.5 lbs +/- for the lower drive pulley ,.. .75 lbs +/- for upper ..the rest of the weight is in the support system and ..bearing assembly for the upper pulley ,..I won't know the actual weight until I build it,..the crank will support the lower pulley and keep it in line with only side loads applied to it which is what the motor's internal bearings are designed for ..you just need to have ample support for the upper pulley that is subject to omni dirrectional loads ,.the timken bearings are designed for omni dirrectional loads,..which eliminates the need for thrust plates/bearings

oh ,.in case any one was wondering ,..I'll machine the pulley 's out of 6061-0 and them heat treat them to T-6 spec's,..they will be a cog belt pulley

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 12-27-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Are you using a belt drive?

Yes a belt drive ..cog belt

Chase