Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subaru to Rotax

Default Subaru to Rotax

Ok....all your talk about the rotax has me convinced to change out my engine...why?...because I can!
    so we will see how the performance changes
    I bought my Kitfox IV speedster with the EA81 subaru in it 5 years ago and it is a great running engine but everyone tells me it is to heavy and that is why my performance is so poor. I didn't know any better. Have had a great time with it so far, it climbs great and gets off the ground fast but the top cruise always bugged me because you guys keep saying that you are getting upwards of 110-120 mph cruise. My empty weight is 750 lbs and cruise is 85 mph with fuel burn at 4.5 gal/hr....warp drive ground adjustable prop. Tryed all differant settings on prop with out much change of cruise. So this will be a real life test with the same aircraft.
    old engine EA81 Subaru 113 hp on the dyno, warp drive prop
    new engine 912 S 100 hp, IVO medium inflight adjustable

Mr Moderator (Steve)
    I really hope you are right in your claims
    expensive lesson other wise.

but someone has to take one for the team.......LOL

Default Re: Subaru to Rotax

You are going to love your new engine. That being said, how old is the engine? does it have the slipper clutch?

THe only advice I can give you on the new engine is... Hold on to your hat. it will scare you, particularly since you only had a cruise of 85mph. Mine will do that when I have the prop flat. I usually run at 110kts which is about 130mph. I did get my RV up to 190 today so I guess that's slow also. Have fun with your new airplane.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Talking Re: Subaru to Rotax

well guys we are finally getting ready for the first start up. Hope to do it on Sunday and if all goes well maybe a start of the test flights.....YES

have had electrical issues so it has not run yet...very frustrating...will be sure and post once it gets going...believe me it has been way to long a project in my opinion....

have had some electrical issues...still not running
    will keep you informed as it happens....

very important that you also do a weight and balance.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I don't know if you have posted your electrical problems yet. But, I do have the 912uls that I just installed in January. I since have changed out the tach and all the sensors did not jive with my guages. I would concider going individual switches on the mags, I love that with mine. I currently have a key switch for the start, but like the RV am going to get a push button. If it's the charging, you should have gotten a new regulator, just wire in the new one and be done with it. If you need a good wiring diagram, there are some available on line from rotax. Good luck.

steve
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thumbs up Re: Subaru to Rotax

yes weight aand balance is on the menu...as far as the electric is concerned the guys at rotax are working on it...I thought I would leave it to the experts. They have the Kitfox in their care and only when is it puurrring will it come home. Actually I will go to the shop and test fly it there so if there are any further issues they will have full access to figure things out. Thanks for the imput though.

we had a very succesfull engine start up today...engine oil presure was good...we ran for about 30 minutes at the longest strech and oil temp reached 120...we have nor reading on the tach so we put a new one in with the same result will do further checks tomorrow. Starts and runs smooth...new weight and balance says we lost 54 pounds doing the change over from the subaru...test flight is a comin
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 09-22-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Lets see here, I came out with about 630 on total weight, and the tail was somewhere in the 40 pound range. If you need real weights I can get them.

I will say with 60 pounds shed, you will be really happy with the results.

hold on to your hat