Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Subaru to Rotax

Default Re: Subaru to Rotax

Nice work with the engine mod. I suspect that the Aero Engineers will tell you that you increased the horsepower considerably.
    The equation for this is V2 = V1 * ((P2/P1) E^-3).
    To solve for the initial power,
    P1 = P2 / ((V2/V1) E^3)
    P1 = 110 / ((120/85) E^3)
    = 39 HP
    The prop is another variable, but assumed constant for the horsepower calculation.
    Did the CG change considerably?
    Don

my attempt at video...first try with the new camera

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV3iAQStlkA

I use 1/2 flaps for all takeoffs and landings in my Kitfox IV amphib. I get an awesome takeoff climb compared to using no flaps. Using 1/2 flaps for landing seems to control my float better, as landing a "shopping cart" on the runway needs one to land a bit faster than if on a regular landing gear.

I also messed around with negative flaps settings (to act as spoilers) and found this through my experimentation; If you get too negative you will find your Kitfox will "fall off the cruise step", especially if at reduced cruise speeds. The airplane will not seem as stable, and you will have to fly faster (at least 75-80 mph TAS was my experience) to keep the aircraft at a flat cruise attitude. When flying with my Highlander buds I irritated them a bit when at their high cruise I kept asking them to speed up if they could, while I was flying around next to them with two notches of flaps on. Anyhow, I readjusted my flaperons so that the indicator shows neutral when I am at my maximum cruise speed. I've put 250 hours on it since and have been real happy with my flap setting. I also now can fly next to slower airplanes without falling off the cruise step. My Highlander (and Rans) buddies appreciate that...

Paul S

well we have put on about 10 hours and have a whole new love for my Kitfox. Filled it up to full gross weight. Climb is still 11-1200 fpm and no problem maintaining 110 mph cruise at 4000 rpm. Have had it up to 130 mph and it feels solid but since max cruise is called to be 110 we will keep it there for now. Will continue to see what fuel burn is and most of all have fun. Have not felt so excited about flying since I got my license. What a gift
    will start a panel upgrade next...fun fun

What an exciting time! I am very jealous! Those of us still waiting to build are now more anxious, thanks! JK, I hope that my experiences and yours to come are even better as the years of Kitfox flying continue!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!