Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just got a kitfox 1

Default just got a kitfox 1

Hey guys just wanted to introduce my self and tell you I bought a kitfox 1. It looks to be an untouched kit, just got it in the garage today, I'm excited to start on it. bought it from Jim, nice guy and want to say thanks, not sure how much customizing I will do to this one, thinking about keeping it simple for once. Maybe some small stuff would like to beef up the lower carry thru, I guess, well that's all I got for tonight Ill post progress later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: just got a kitfox 1

Hi TJay,
    Congrats on your purchase! It should be a fun project and you've apparently got a nice shop to build in. We'll look forward to regular updates as you move forward and of course provide all sorts of advise.

The parts look to be in great shape for being stored for that length of time. What motor do you plan to use? Also, besides upgrading the carry through (and wing struts?), you might consider beefing up the bungee truss. Might as well get some use out of that Miller gear.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

912 on the bench?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    912 on the bench?
    That is a 912 uls I bought it for my sonex build last year, I was gonna go thru it because it has 2000 hrs, but the compression is exactly the same now as it was the day it was new, seems silly to me to tear it down. I think that one may stay on the bench might be a bit much for a kitfox 1 airframe ha.

My model I is powered with a 912A 80 hp. I love it.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Having owned a floatplane...there is NEVER a time when too much engine is a problem.

Hello, I completed a M-1 KITFOX about 2 years ago, No. 88, N375KF. It was a barely started kit that had languished for many years. The kit had nothing firewall forward and was missing a few other parts. The current KITFOX company was very helpful when I needed something even though they had nothing to do with the early kits. They did not have everything but what they were able to do they willingly did. I used an HKS 700 E engine and firewall forward parts from GREENSKY ADVENTURES. Now that is a company worth knowing. The owner of the company owned a KITFOX III and had an HKS 700 E in it. Nothing quite like "been there done that" when it comes to having answers. In my mind the HKS 700 E is a good fit for the early KITFOX models.
    I hope you enjoy the build. I sure did.
    Chetlongshooter.

My 'FoxII with an HKS doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of useful load - no complaint, it's just the nature of the beast. I have removed the ineffective cabin heat it had and simplified the interior to reduce empty weight and give it more useful load. Have you figured out your weights for a 'Fox I with the 4 stroke Rotax? Just sayin'.

Cheers,

L

I considered an Avid with a EA81.
    I then looked at the weight & balance and inquired about the compensation for the engine.
    I said, "No thank you".
    Lou
    KitFox II

Oh I have a grey head 582 for it, just going to keep her simple and light, some day I will find a classic 4 to build with my 912uls. I would have started working on it today, but I pulled the motor off My Quad city challenger and put new crank seals in it, Oh well I got to looked at the kitfox frame alot today while I was doing the seals that was good enough,
    Last edited by TJay; 11-26-2014 at 08:14 PM.