Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hanger

Default Re: Hanger

Let me toss this out there. Are the pre made trusses, sold by Menards, Lowes, etc, made to be used for an open full span roof? In other words, would a series of 40' trusses spaced 24" on center work if supported by some well built walls on three sides? The reason I ask is that is exactly how my barn is made. But it is only 30' wide.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Let me toss this out there. Are the pre made trusses, sold by Menards, Lowes, etc, made to be used for an open full span roof? In other words, would a series of 40' trusses spaced 24" on center work if supported by some well built walls on three sides? The reason I ask is that is exactly how my barn is made. But it is only 30' wide.
    That's how mine is built. I used a stock 4' on center pole barn truss and metal roof with 2 x 4 purlins. Around here a 40' 5/12 pitch stock pole barn truss are around $125.00. I have $2500 total in my hangar materials with no doors. The pole barn suppliers will cut the metal to whatever length you want. I laminated two truss on the open end to support a future door.

I'll see if I can dig out a pic.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Kurt,
    The ground snow load for your area appears to be 3.0 kPa (63 psf) from the following document:
    http://www.cariboord.bc.ca/uploads/8...s_Overview-pdf

You can then plug this and other data regarding your roof into an online calculator: http://www.had2know.com/househome/ro...alculator.html

Using some assumptions about your roof and the ground snow load I get an estimate of 37 psf snow load for your roof. If your roof was 40' x 40' that would give a load of 59,200 lbs. It looks like each of your beams could be supporting as much as 10 tons.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Kurt,
    The ground snow load for your area appears to be 3.0 kPa (63 psf) from the following document:
    http://www.cariboord.bc.ca/uploads/8...s_Overview-pdf

You can then plug this and other data regarding your roof into an online calculator: http://www.had2know.com/househome/ro...alculator.html

Using some assumptions about your roof and the ground snow load I get an estimate of 37 psf snow load for your roof. If your roof was 40' x 40' that would give a load of 59,200 lbs. It looks like each of your beams could be supporting as much as 10 tons.

Paul,
    I had a look at the document and the online calculator. My location is Southern Cariboo District, so the snow load goes to 57 PSF. The area of the roof is 1176 sqft (42 X 28 ft)with a 22 deg pitch. I inputted all the other details from my hanger and area into the calculator and came up with a total Max snow load of 48,180 lbs. How do I calculate the dispersal of the load? My guess at that one would be 1/2 of the load for the beams, with the other 1/2 being carried by the perimeter posts and walls. If that assumption is correct then the 2 beams would be sharing 25,000 lbs. at Max. or 12,500 lbs. each. Now that we have these numbers can the design of the beams carry this load?
    Last edited by Kurt.A; 11-24-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

OK, I think you have a good estimate for the numbers. This is where you need the structural guy to look at the beam design. Most architects have a go to structural engineer so they're not too hard to find.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Roughly speaking - the back wall and front beam each carry 25% of the load and the center beam 50%. The loads you mention are only the snow loads plus the weight of the roof itself.

Also important are the size of the joists, their spacing and length of span.

Just a thought on the string deflection measuring - I would use good mono-filiment fishing line. Most regular string will not get taught enough to be straight before breaking.

Greg

If it was me, and I had any doubts about the roof, I would make up some 4"X4" posts that could be stood up under the beams to help carry the load. Maybe one post for the open end, and 2 posts for the middle beam. Use them if you are expecting a big snowstorm, and clear the snow off the roof when it starts to pile up too deep. I made a tool for pushing the snow off my hanger when it gets to deep, I used some 1 1/2" diameter wood handrail about 18' long and made a blade out of aluminum about 32" wide that fits on one end of the handle. I can stand up near the middle of the roof and push the snow down and off the edge of the roof fairly easy. My hangar is 40' wide and 42' deep. Snow slides fairly easy on a metal roof. Jim Chuk

It sounds like I have the wife on board with building a hangar. We will try and get into Menards this weekend to use their computer plan builder to see what the materials would cost. It's a long term project, but at least I've been able to keep it on the table. I still need to get it flying again before I can start building a hangar....
    Jay

Here is my hillbilly hangar
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip