Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanger

Default Re: Hanger

Hi Lowell!
    That's a lot like my dad's place up at Clear Lake. He's done so much work to get his two door hangar to work smoothly. If my barn was attached to the house like your hangar, my wife would never see me. That gives me an idea. She may like that idea. I'll show her the photos tonight...

Did you get your brake bleed tool back from me? I'm still waiting to get the engine down to Louisville for o/h.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.A View Post
    Thanks for all the Kudo's guy's. Yes it is a 40 ft span on the inside. Beams are not engineered but are built very strong. Pretty much solid 24 inches deep X 6 1/2 thick with laminated 2X10 and OSB glued and screwed together. I have a string stretched across all three beams to keep an eye on things as the snow load comes.
    Kurt, can you do a quick sketch of how you laid all that up and take a pic with your phone so you could email it to me? I'll PM my email to you right now.
    Jay

Kurt,
    Put the drawing and photo on this thread so the rest of us can see it.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Hi Lowell!
    That's a lot like my dad's place up at Clear Lake. He's done so much work to get his two door hangar to work smoothly. If my barn was attached to the house like your hangar, my wife would never see me. That gives me an idea. She may like that idea. I'll show her the photos tonight...

Did you get your brake bleed tool back from me? I'm still waiting to get the engine down to Louisville for o/h.
    Jay
    Jay,
    I do live out there. When it is time for lunch or dinner, she will either call on the cell phone or flash the hangar lights on and off.

Did get he brake bleed tool.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Too late tonight to post a drawing and I have no photo's of how they are laminated. Looking on the end of the beam you will see that there is 3 2X10's laminated with 7/16" OSB between each 2X10 in the top portion of the beam. Each lamination is glued with PL400 construction adhesive and screwed together. The bottom half of the beam is done exactly the same as the top portion so you end up with 3) 2X10's on edge directly above 3) more 2X10's on edge. There is also a 2X6 top plate and bottom plate laid flat against the 2X10's on edge. The posts are 4) 2X6's glued and screwed together. Hope that helps guy's
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Looks to be a nicely engineered structure. Your slide-in camper looks, even the colors, like a 10 footer I used to have. It was on a 1 ton dually crew cab Chevy. We had some great family vacations with that.
    Lou
    KitFox II

Hi Kurt,
    I'm an engineer, but not a structural guy, so take this with several grains of salt. Looking at the design and your description of the beam construction I would have serious concerns about the structure taking the full snow load.

I would suggest hiring a structural engineer to do the calcs to prove your design. If you're not going to do that, I'd install center posts under your beams to help handle the load during the snow season.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I was looking at a home at an Airpark in Texas that had that type of door., two garage doors with a moveable center post. When we were opening with no issues. In trying to close it, several of the wheels ran out of the track on the far right side and I was sure glad it jammed from the weight. I Damned near had the garage door on my head.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I agree with Paul,

I'm an engineer too, mechanical not structural though and not trying to rain on anyone's parade but:

Consideration for those reading: IF there were an incident and you have insurance on the contents, an insurance company MAY NOT provide coverage without a building inspector sign off and/or a structural engineers approved design.

Concerns would include - the stagger of the 2/10's, OSB joints and 2/6 plates. Internal lamination of the OSB on the top and lower 2/10's separately. External laminations of OSB appear that they could be the only "support" creating the beam depth (strength) - 7/8 of an inch (total) of OSB for a 40 foot span.

I'd venture to guess up there the design snow load is in excess of 50lb/s.f. which by the looks of it, with a minimal slope (no snow slip off) the design snow load total for that roof could be in excess of 25 tons, plus the weight of the roof itself.

Just food for thought.

Greg

It is awesome having some engineers on site with us to help us along.
    Paul/Greg,
    I have no idea what the design snow load is for our area. but at any one time during mid winter we will typically have 1-2 ft of snow on the ground. The weight of which really varies with moisture density more so than the visual amount of snow.
    As far as the joints in the laminations all joints are spaced no less than 4 ft away from one another. The internal OSB laminations are also full depth of the beam less the top and bottom 2X6 plates.
    I have considered putting in removable center posts and will be monitoring the beam flex as the snow load comes on. If the flex becomes more than an inch the posts will be going in along with screw jacks to level things back up.
    The pitch is the same as our hay shed and snow slip occurs all winter long on it. Ambient temperature is the deciding factor here. -20 C snow never slips, -2 C snow never stops sliping.
    All excellent points to be brought up for clarification!
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project