Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expectations of Kitfox

Default Expectations of Kitfox

Hi all:

I am a low time private pilot that just got back into it after some years off.
    I joined a club that I enjoy, however, I would really like to own something. I would say it'll be a two year process due to funds, job changes etc.

In any case I want something rugged that I can take to fields and grass strips as well as pavement with two people and some gear. I'd want to do some cross country flying but in no hurry. It's really not meant to travel but to enjoy getting there.

I had been thinking in the direction of a 172 or tri pacer, but I'm wondering if LSA has an advantage given what I'm looking for. I hear stories of what parts cost (horrifying) and I know Avgas is only going up especially when the 100LL replacement gets here. And I hear many A&P's are very expensive especially if they are light on work. So its a pricey hobby and I know that it will be no matter what.

But I can use my hands and am not afraid of the build aspect other than the patience it will take, and if I were to build a kitfox it seems like it would do a lot of what I'm asking. I could do most of my own work and burn cheaper gas. And I could stay in the club if I wanted to carry four people or just had a need for a 172 or Archer.

So am I thinking in a rational direction. Can I expect to carry 450 pounds of people and some bags safe and comfortable at 110 or 120 mph on 5 or 6 gph. And not have to suffer many of the crippling maintenance costs. What I'm seeing so far says yes. Have any of you built and in light sport for some of the same reasons. Are people other than those suffering from the medical hurdle moving in this direction.

Are my thoughts and questions clear.

Default Re: Expectations of Kitfox

Pretty much answered all of your own questions about Kitfox's, yes to all of
    the above.

Anything else?

Jeff

N85AE Series-5 Kitfox/Continental IO-240B

The SS7 Kitfox is all the things you want it to be, but some honesty about load capacity has to be considered. At 1320 lbs gross for Light Sport you subtract about 800 for empty weight, leaving 520 for usable load. If you want to carry two people at 450, that only leaves 70 lbs for fuel and gear. You will only be able to carry 1/2 tank of fuel and no baggage. This is the downside of light sport.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I fly a model four with 80 horses. I have about 400 hours in it and its a great little flyer for my farm and me and and the misses. Were pretty small at 165 and 100 ish for the lady. I'm only 5'6 and she barely makes 5 feet. So, we go full tanks, full bags and make our takeoff in 450 to 600 feet from a 1600 foot runway no obstacles. Our mountain ranch is in the Clark Fork Valley and we regularly fly 100 or more miles in a commute to Spokane or a 30 mile trip to the local wall mart in Sand Point. We can carry 40 lbs of groceries in the plane and if it were a series seven we would feel privileged. the Kitfox is your plane.

The only part of your equation you might want to reconsider is that you can, generally, buy a flying Kitfox for less than you'd invest if you build your own. You can still perform your own maintenance although how you go about it varies depending on its certification category (EAB, ELSA, SLSA). You may need an A&P mechanic to sign off your work though.

Build if you enjoy building and want to get the exact configuration that suits you. You just won't save money going that route and it will take some time.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

You sound like me a few years ago. The Kitfox SS7 does everything you want. If you can get a medical I recommend staying away from the LSA as it limits your weight to 1320lbs vs 1550lbs. That's an extra 230lbs of bags and fuel.

If you buy a built one, you will save money but they are hard to find...

A model 5 or 6 would fit your role nicely too

Thanks for the replies...sounds encouraging.

I'm hoping that resale is good (just in case) so that also makes me hope the price difference between building and buying isn't too big. I can see what you mean by how tempting something like this is...

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/...n/1758278.html

But I can't resist the satisfaction of building my own. It might also help me spread the cost over time. I know there would be days I'd curse the decision when patience runs thin. But it has to be absolutely great to fly your own plane.

Also, it's my understanding that it should registered for 1,550 lb gross. I know little about that process, but apparently the builder chooses the gross weight. That makes sense to me especially because I already have the license.

It just seems like the expense is more legitimate with this idea. I know I could go get a tri-pacer pretty cheap, but even if it's in good shape to start I think owners get cheated by almost everyone involved at this point to fly and maintain a certified plane. A guy at my club showed me a flap position sender for his 182 - super simple rheostat. $1000 used.

Anyway. This all sounds very good.

And is the Rotax the only way to go. They seem pricey, but I'd want 100hp. There is a Bushking VW that if is as advertised looks nice. Not really cheap but simple and easy to maintain. Way ahead of myself I know, but the part of the equation that worries me the most.

@ highball

Keep in mind opinions are like as*******, everyone has one, I think. They, however, should be considered. I just went through the process you are encountering. I looked ALL summer for an airplane that fit my needs and desires. I am satisfied with my purchase and am pretty much where I expected to be. No matter what you finally do, make sure it is what fits for YOU. I am not detracting from anything/information presented on this forum. I have learned a great deal from everyone here!! Gather all of the insight offered. It seems in the end, there are many trade-offs. Just follow your head and heart and you should not have any buyers remorse.
    Happy Hunting...
    Lou
    KitFox II

Quote Originally Posted by highball View Post
    Thanks for the replies...sounds encouraging.

And is the Rotax the only way to go. They seem pricey, but I'd want 100hp. There is a Bushking VW that if is as advertised looks nice. Not really cheap but simple and easy to maintain. Way ahead of myself I know, but the part of the equation that worries me the most.
    You can't get a kit delivered to your door for the price of that kitfox. Buy it and make it yours.

Rotax are expensive but you can get used ones for a decent price if you keep your eyes open.

Did anyone else notice the usefull load on the Kitfox in the trade a plane link? GW 1550, usefull load 530. Wow, that is a heavy kitfox. Wonder what it would have weighed with a 912 Rotax? Jim Chuk