Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Boot cowl fasteners

Default Boot cowl fasteners

I want to be able to remove my boot cowl, what type of fasteners are recommended? I presume some type of camloc. What have some of you used? I don't want to rivet it. Thanks for your input.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Boot cowl fasteners

Mine has cam locs, and I'm very happy with them.

Larry

Stan,

I have seen a Kitfox with flush head screws used in place of the flush head rivets - not sure what the part designation is; however, the flush head screws appeared to be the same size as the rivets normally used to fasten the boot cowl to the firewall. On the installation I saw with the screws - I did not find out what was done with the other side - don't know if anchor nuts were used or not.

Wish I had done that with my Series 7..... But I am getting pretty good at airplane yoga inspecting the back of the panel now

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS warp Drive
    ST Paul, MN

Google skybolt fastners and you will find what your looking for. I used these on my Rans S-7 and will be using them on the SS-7

Several builders I know have used nutplates and it seemed to work out well.

However, be aware that when you do this (make a removable boot cowl) it will not be possible to seal the firewall and any CO in the engine compartment could get into the cockpit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have the Skybolt fasteners on mine. They work awesome and I have the absolute best access for panel wiring. Stand outside on the ground and access every wire. Eng inspection/repairs/maintenance is a breeze. Use a sticky backed foam tape for helping to seal off cowl leaks.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Several builders I know have used nutplates and it seemed to work out well.

However, be aware that when you do this (make a removable boot cowl) it will not be possible to seal the firewall and any CO in the engine compartment could get into the cockpit.
    In my opinion there is too much history from the early Kitfoxes with the one piece main cowl running all sorts of engines - mostly Rotax, that the big issue is not CO but sore backs from trying to get to the back of the panel. When I spent a year and a half helping finish a Lancair IV, I knew it was time for me to quit when finishing the panel was all that was left. I don't think there was any way, this guy could wind himself into the pretzel necessary to reach up behind there. And the Lancair would likely be easier because you could begin by standing on the wing to start the pretzel bend

I also helped a guy finish a Series 5 with 7 cowl and he wanted the removable boot cowl for the mentioned reasons. We used Nutplates and flat head screws. I think if I were doing it again to my own airplane, that is the way I would go as it looks nice and trim and the few times I would need the boot cowl off would not be an issue with an electric screwdriver.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I did my Zodiac with rivnuts and flathead screws. I originally sealed it with a bead of caulk. I've had it off once and it was simple to add a bead of caulk from the engine side.