Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental Registration

Default Re: Experimental Registration

if it is sold and has the data plate : all you need to do is get a Maintenance
    (FSDO ) DAR to issue a replacement A/W cert with limitations.

if the data plate is gone : get approval to replace, the info is on the
    FAA registration site, then get replacement A/W cert.

that is only if it is not shown in the FAA records as destroyed.

Okay, I've read this thread a few times and the inference here may give a few readers a distorted perception.

That being; if you surrender the AWC, the plane is worth much less and you reduce your liability.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney so this is not legal advice, just my opinion as an engineer that is familiar with liability issues. It is presented just for the readers further investigation and consideration.

Surrendering the AWC does not necessarily mean the aircraft is not airworthy - it just can't be flown. The original builder will always be listed with the FAA as the original builder even if a new AWC is issued. So how would this procedure limit the original builders liability? In my view, it wouldn't.

So, if true, why would the aircraft be worth half as much? In my view, it wouldn't be. The only reduced value would be in the time and cost spent reapplying for and obtaining a reissued AWC.

To me, the reduced value in purchasing an EAB is; any new owner can't obtain a maintenance/repairmans cert. for the aircraft (without great difficulty).

Food for thought, Greg

Greg,
    My opinion is you wouldn't likely obtain a new airworthiness certificate. You wouldn't have a bill of sale, nor builders documentation required to be able to apply for a special airworthiness certificate.

What would be your approach to this?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Paul,

They never stated there was no bill of sale and no builder documentation provided.

I can not imagine buying any vehicle without a bill of sale proving cash spent - particularly for sales and use tax purposes.

Also can't fathom buying any EAB without any build documentation.

But those were assumed on my part and may be wrong. I'm sure there could be plenty of variables.

Greg

We're both making wide assumptions, but if a person were trying to limit their liability by surrendering the AWC, i doubt they'd provide a BOS (at least for an aircraft) or builder's logs.

If it were me, trying to avoid ongoing liability, I wouldn't sell anything I'd built. I'd sell the engine, fuselage, instruments but not the wings, control surfaces, etc.

In real life, I couldn't part out my baby so I'd probably sell it whole and hope it goes well for future owners.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med