Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Pitch Props

Default Fixed Pitch Props

Is anyone out there using a Prince or Catto prop on their Kitfox?

I've been watching, with great interest, threads on several boards about the Zipper motor mods and the associated use of these high tech fixed pitch props.

I have an IVO UL for my Mangy Fox project and if I use the Zipper kit, this prop is not an option any more as it can't handle more than the stock 80 hp.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Fixed Pitch Props

What is a zipper kit?

The Zipper Kit is featured in the "912 Big Bore" thread.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Is anyone out there using a Prince or Catto prop on their Kitfox?

I've been watching, with great interest, threads on several boards about the Zipper motor mods and the associated use of these high tech fixed pitch props.

I have an IVO UL for my Mangy Fox project and if I use the Zipper kit, this prop is not an option any more as it can't handle more than the stock 80 hp.
    Larry,

You can use that UL prop if you want to. Steve Henry flew his 912ULS Highlander in his videos with the IVO UL IFA prop. He said the only issue was that on initial full throttle application the prop would cavitate a bit before getting a good bite of air, and then it went like hell However, he was using the Patriot IVO blade, which has a bit more pitch built into it than the regular UL blade. You might want to verify with IVO what blades you have to make a better determination.

But like you, I too am curious if any Kitfoxers are using the CATTO or Prince prop. I just talked to one of my Highlander buds that uses a Prince 74" and absolutely loves it. Granted, I am more interested in the longer versions (the 80 to 84 inch like Troy Woodland is playing with), but I'm not sure our Kitfoxes would have the ground clearance for those lengths (although they might work on floats...). Plus, while I am sure the long blades would provide us with significantly better climb rates, I am afraid the long blade would kill our top end. But it sure would be interesting to hear from someone that is using one.

Paul

*Bump*

I'm still watching and waiting to see if there is anyone else out there in Kitfox land using or considering the use of one of these new style fixed pitch composite props on their airplane.

I will be contacting both Catto and Prince shortly as to if they have any recommendations on their products for my plane. I will share any information here and would hope that anyone else considering this will share anything they have as well.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

[quote
    I have an IVO UL for my Mangy Fox project and if I use the Zipper kit, this prop is not an option any more as it can't handle more than the stock 80 hp.[/quote]

I'm going to be in the market for an IVO UL prop for my 582. If yours would work on my engine, keep me in mind.
    Jay

I believe his Mangy fox has a 912 which turns in the opposite direction of the 582. Jim Chuk

I'm going to be in the market for an IVO UL prop for my 582. If yours would work on my engine, keep me in mind.
    Jay[/quote]

Oh shoot! Could have been good for both of us. Too bad.
    Jay

Sorry, Beery, Avid is right. It's for a 912 motor.

(It will include the motor and parts to make it electrically ground adjustable. )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you want to sell your IVO let me know.
    Dave