Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

Default Re: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

*n85ae

I like the attitude...
    Lou
    KitFox II

I think pencil and paper navigation is an art, whereas GPS operation is
    simply a skill. To me it is much more rewarding. To make the experience
    complete I do have an instrument rating, so it's not like I don't know how
    to turn knobs, and push buttons ...

Jeff

I guess this is another example of to each their own. I have found flying more fun and relaxing after switching to GPS. I frequently fly with no particular destination in mind, with GPS I always know where I am with out much effort. I can effectively avoid airspace issues and TFRs are always current. I have at least one (sometimes 2) backups for the GPS and I also carry a chart but that doesn't get much use. I can still navigate with a chart and an E6B but that is not what I enjoy about flying. Some art is lost, some art is gained but in the end flying is still a blast whatever your reasons.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

That's the usual reaction these days, so not a surprise really. Same reason
    you can get great deals on old fashioned nav gear on Ebay

Jeff

I cover nearly every spectrum that has been mentioned. Use my GPS sometimes, tablet sometimes, and nothing most of the time. I usually do as others, take off with no idea where I am going. I just go...try to always keep my bearing and see if I can make it back without any electronic gizmos. Yesterday I did just that. Took off and headed north, pretty soon I was within sight of the Canadian border so I turned west and then back south. 2.5 hours later I was back home.

I'm a cheap b@stard also and use a Samsung Galaxy with Avare. Like the previous poster states..it's free! Only thing I would do over is buy a smaller size. a 7" would be better than the 10" as it is just too big and gets in the way.

I had a really great opportunity about ten years ago to go along flying from
    time to time with an old retired 747 Captain, who had spent time flying C-46's
    over the Hump into China during WWII. Being that he was around 80+ his wife
    would not let him go flying without another pilot in the plane, so I got the
    great opportunity to be his backup pilot in an old Piper Archer.

One thing he told me, and I have always stuck to is - Never fly unless you
    know where you're going, and what you're going to do there, and have some
    sort of a minimal plan how you're going to do it. Cause if you don't you're
    flying on borrowed time.

I never flew with him, where he didn't brief the flight ahead of time, even if
    it was just a 30 minutes look around the local area.

Jeff

Neat story Jeff. I'm like you as I would prefer a paper chart. I just didn't want to appear like a fool showing up for refresher training for my long overdue check ride with paper and plotter.

However, I can spend lots of time on Google maps/earth looking for good motorcycle roads and grass strips. I'm competent with my ipad but sometimes it can be difficult to read in bright sunlight. So I don't know how it will work in my Kitfox.
    Jay

This has been a great thread. I am completely torn however, as I like to use modern technology, but yet like to know I am staying up to date and capable with the old system of maps/charts.

But based on what I'm learning here, I've decided to take the next step and try some of these different programs on my notepad. I'm pretty spoiled with what has been the extremely reliable Garmin -96 series Gps (that I like to build right into my panel). But it might be time to start thinking about getting a start on my poor mans glass panel

However, I really admire Jeff's position and will at least occasionally turn off my gizmos and use my finger on the map just to prove I can still do that effectively.

Also, isn't it a requirement to carry current sectionals for the area you are flying in? I seem to recall that was.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Also, isn't it a requirement to carry current sectionals for the area you are flying in? I seem to recall that was.
    I think the actual requirement is that you have ALL of the relevant information to complete the flight safely.

Wise to do but no actual requirement for a map if you can remember everything on it to the satisfaction of the investigator or ramp check guy after the fact.

That being said the iPad with any of these apps IS a map. And it is much easier to keep current and use. I would think more people fly with current charts now than ever before because of these devices. I am sure no one on this forum but me has ever flown with an out of date sectional.

Every month when new maps are available for download a little red circle with the number of available downloads shows up. 3 clicks on the iPad and they are downloading. 3 clicks on the phone and they download there too.

I now fly with 2 copies of current charts. Always. Easy peasy. If you do not trust the electrons to keep flowing in a device. Carry 2 or 3. Most of these apps with one subscription can be on 2 or 3 devices including a phone which you most likely have with you anyway. I also still carry a paper sectional for my area but its out of date.
    Oh yeah, if you get the right one it is a back up to your GPS too. Some gadgets are just gadgets. They will suck me in every time. Tablets with aviation maps, however, are the best thing for aviation since the GPS IMHO. I am a fan of the gadgets but I do occasionally still fly on paper. And it is fun to do.

Current maps for pretty cheap, with an airplane icon flying along the magenta line on the Sectional. Star Trek here we come.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

A little white envelope arrives in the mail periodically, and it has sectionals, terminal area
    chart for Chicago, and an airport facilities directory, My charts are always current, and
    I never need to download anything ...

Jeff