Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF IV-1200 Rotax 582 Blue Head Left Front Mount

Default KF IV-1200 Rotax 582 Blue Head Left Front Mount

I have a 582 Gray Head in my KT IV-1200 and would like to change to a 582 Blue Head; however, the left front mount top bolt locations are different. I’ve included one pic of my Gray Head mounted on the engine mount and one pic of the Blue Head.Kitfox Aircraft not able to help with an engine mount for the 582 Blue Head. Has anyone experienced this?Any suggestions where I can purchase the correct left mount for the 582 Blue Head?
    P1010063.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

Default Re: KF IV-1200 Rotax 582 Blue Head Left Front Mount

Hello!

I can't see the difference, are the bolt-holes different, may be the size?
    I would ask Rotax about that, may they have engine-mounts for the blue head.

I fly the greyhead too and I' am happy with it, why do you change?
    Any problems, how many hours?

Olaf

On the gray heads the top hole had to be drilled and tapped to accept the top bolt on that motor mount bracket (carefully so as not to drill in too far). Is that the issue or is it the offset of the top hole? I don't recall if the top hole in my grayhead was offset like that or not.

Thanks for the replies.
    My greyhead has less than 100 hrs and runs very good, just wanted a spare engine.That’s when I noticed the difference in the left front mount.The bluehead top bolt size is smaller and is offset as compared to the greyhead which has the same size top and bottom bolt and or in line when each other.
    All the KT’s I have seen with a 582 bluehead have a bottom plate mount. I’ve not seen any with the side mounts like mine.I’m sure mine is not the only one.
    Thought maybe someone out there has had the same problem or knows the answer.
    Thanks to all for your help.
    Ray
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

Olaf I retired while working in Germany - lived in Kollweiler.
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

If it was me, I think I would drill another hole in the mount to match the upper hole on the Blue head 582. Could probably fill the old hole in the mount with epoxy if the 2 holes are close to each other. Jim Chuk

I'm flying with a grey head as well. I can't see much benefit to changing to a blue head unless one worked out to be cheaper than overhauling my current engine. The only mod I had done was to have mine machined for the ceramic seal on the rotary valve shaft to address a known weak point on the grey head.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med