Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will the potential third class medical elimination affect the light sport economy

Default How will the potential third class medical elimination affect the light sport economy

I'm excited about the potential third class medical elimination but can't help to wonder how it will affect the light sport aircraft economy.

It seems to me that if more capable aircraft will now be available for people to fly that demand for light sport aircraft will decrease dramatically although I think it will be great for general aviation as a whole.

I personally am on the fence about buying a LSA right now because if this goes through it makes more sense for me to get a larger aircraft.

I have no problem getting a special issuance but the time and the costs involved make the limited flying time I have cost prohibitive.

Default Re: How will the potential third class medical elimination affect the light sport eco

The LS category will continue to exist for no other reason is there is a less stringent, e.g. less expensive, level of license.

I also hope that the legislation passes eliminating the class 3 medical, but remember that in order to fly a larger aircraft, the pilot must hold a more advanced license, recreational or private.

There are many LS certificated pilots that will continue to fly at the LS level.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: How will the potential third class medical elimination affect the light sport eco

I would imagine that as the builder, I will continue to be able to do my own maintenance which I would not be able to do on factory built. So I will continue in the LSA category as many of us will. I have enjoyed the build process tremendously.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I believe it will kill the value of an SLSA. Why have a SLSA if you could fly a C172?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

…can't fly a 172 on a Light Sport license.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have a private ticket, I just quit doing the physicals. I concur the LSA pilots will still need SLSAs. It will reduce the number of potential buyers significantly.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    …can't fly a 172 on a Light Sport license.
    But you can on a recreational certificate and there isn't a whole lot of difference between that and sport.

You can also have an experimental plane that is not light sport which would enable you to work on it on your own.

I just think this change is going to make the light sport certificate and light sport aircraft irrelevant. I would not want to be an SLSA manufacturer that has dumped all kinds of time and money into developing a light sport aircraft right now. Take the Icon A5 for example.

i would like to see what the real wording is on the new drafts. as i have seen it, it would open up all the way to maybe even light twins that would carry no more than 6 people and go no faster than 250 knots and may or maynot allow ifr flight without having to go through the 3rd class medical boondoggle. i am still building a kitfox one from a partially started kit, but that is ok, it may allow me to buy a light twin aztec or something if it goes though! i hope anyway!
    micheal

Quote Originally Posted by h-m View Post
    i would like to see what the real wording is on the new drafts. as i have seen it, it would open up all the way to maybe even light twins that would carry no more than 6 people and go no faster than 250 knots and may or maynot allow ifr flight without having to go through the 3rd class medical boondoggle. i am still building a kitfox one from a partially started kit, but that is ok, it may allow me to buy a light twin aztec or something if it goes though! i hope anyway!
    micheal
    It would not be much fun to feed something burning 34 gph of AV fuel. The cost of fuel is the other issue that is hurting general aviation which is why I am attracted to light sport planes for recreational flying because of the low fuel burn and the ability to use auto gas.

I'm also waiting to see what the fuel cost will be for the 100LL replacement.

I fly during the day, below 10,000 ft, usually alone, less than 120 mph, burning 4 gph at cruise, do the maintenance myself. 90 percent of the flying done by recreational pilots is done this way isn't it? Why would I buy a 172 when I can rent one and own my own airplane that I may fly quite unrestricted. My mission doesn't need anything more than a Kitfox and I fly as fast as most of the airplanes around here. What's 10 miles an hour or even 20? not worth the fuel or the headache. Light sport is here to stay. A wise friend of mine once told me not to buy a plane I could afford, but buy a plane I could afford to fly!
    That's the plane for me.