Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warp Drive pitch settings

Default Warp Drive pitch settings

Does anyone know where I can find the proper pitch setting for said prop and Rotax 912 ULS for the Kitfox 7? I am not getting near the static RPM that I should, and want to start checking with the prop pitch. Thanks in advance.

Kenny

Default Re: Warp Drive pitch settings

2 blade or 3? tappered tip or square?
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 06-03-2009 at 05:33 PM.

It is a three blade, and the ends are squared.

if I remember right ..Slyfox ..(Steve) was using a warp 3 blade on a 912,..he has switch out to a Medium IVO now ,..but he would have better numbers for you .

Mine was a 3 blade tappered tip on a 582 E box ..set at 12 degree's
    450 ASL..average temp 80 F.

from what your saying you have too much pitch on your prop,..it takes very small increments in degree change to change RPM's with the warp,.. if your less then 500 RPM from your desired RPM,..I'd go 1/2 degree changes until you reach what your looking for ..it's a little time consuming with the warp..
    but it will take less time with small adjustments then with big ones going back and forth on changes.

Thank you Slyfox.

I rechecked my settings last night, and I was set at 16 deg. I don't even know where that # came from. I was only getting 3300 rpm or so. I've reset the pitch to 10 deg. and will see what I get later this morning.

Please post your results, I have the same set-up and I am about ready to run the engine.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I run the three blade nickel leading edge warp on my 912. Upgraded from a 582 and last summer flew with the warp wide tip. Sent it back to Warp this winter and had the tips tapered. Gained 6-7 mph in cruise and climb remained the same if not slightly better. The motor runs noticibly smoother also. Don't know what my prop is set at as I just use a bubble protractor and adjusted to get 5500-5600 on takeoff. In cruise I'll set 5000-5100 and see 105 mph which for my Model IV is the top of the green. 3.5 gph.

JimS

I run the Warp Drive medium, square tip on my 912A (80hp) at 8.5 degrees.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Kenny,

If any doubts - might want to call up the warp drive folks at 251-609-0969; or e-mail them at warpdrive@gnt.net

I found these folks very knowlegeable and helpful with specific applications.

Provide them with your prop's serial number and the engine - they'll give you the working range for the pitch setting.

At any rate, if you are pulling 3800 rpm- the pitch is probably a little radical.

Reality is a person needs a staring point then will probably fine tune from there. I started with a mid range pitch setting and worked up to somewhat of a cruise setting.

My understanding is that the square tip will pick up RPM quicker once the airplane is moving than the taper tip will and they do behave a little differently.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    K7 trigear - warp tapered tip & rotax 100 hp

Talking Re: Warp Drive pitch settings

I did call Warp Drive and they told me 11-13 deg. I also talked to John McBean at Kitfox Aircraft. He measures at a different location than the tip, but his setting correlated exactly to the Warp Drive setting measured at the tip.

Fess-up time. I am using the Grand Rapids EIS system. As I was re-reading everything, I found a small hidden paragragh which stated that the EIS must be calibrated for the 912. So out to the hangar I go with book in hand and follow through all their steps (not really that many) to check the calibration. It was not set correctly. I made the correction, and now have all kinds of RPM.

My pitch setting ended up at 13 degrees, measured a the tip. 5380 RPM static full power.

On another happy note, we passed our airworthiness inspection this morning.