Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Traffic Control and Communication

Default Traffic Control and Communication

I've just mmoved to the Melbourne, FL area and want to get myself and my Kitfox back in the air. Checking out the charts of the area, I'm amazed by the density of controlled airspace. I realize now that I need to brush up on radio procedures before I attempt a flight review. Can someone reccomend a book or CD?

Default Re: Traffic Control and Communication

IMO, of suggest getting with a local instructor for the refresher. You'll gain mor local knowledge and interaction.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I don't know if you have an apple but Sportys has two really good apps on Airspaces and on VFR Communications.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

When I was training I was nervous about radio communications since I was training in controlled airspace. I bought a hand held radio and in my spare time I would just listen to aircraft that were operating in the airspace and that helped me out a lot. I would even listen to the ground frequency and look at the airport map and follow where the planes were told to go on the map.

Listen Online to KMLB Approach (Orlando) and Tower.

This is my neighborhood. Currently I fly my Cessna out of KTIX in Titusville. I don't think it will take long to become familiar with the local ATC.

The Florida Institute of Technology has a Flight School at KMLB. I'm sure you can find an instructor that will help you with your radio chops.

Just remember the old: 1. Who they are, 2. Who you are, 3. Where you are, and 4. What your request is. When they answer, repeat it back to them, with the last 3 number/letters of your tail number.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I find Orlando atc very easy to deal with. But i was very nervous at first. I also used to use a handheld radio to listen and learn. If your ever headed to zph let me know.
    Ken

thank you all for the helpful tips. there will certainly be some flight instruction involved. I was mainly interested in learning as much as I can before hand. my home airport (sebastian) will be uncontrolled but it will be difficult to go anywhere (particularly north) without some contact with atc unless I want to try threading the needle or diverting for miles. thanks again to all.

Don't be nervous and as noted, tell them who you are, where you're going, and what your intentions are. I still remember on my first long cross country I had to transition the Travis AFB airspace. I was in my dad's Piper Vagabond. I got permission but I was without a transponder. Or an electrical system for that matter. The female controller could not pick me up on radar and was concerned. My instructor had warned my the Vagabond, being fabric like the KF, would be stealthy to radar unless I walked the rudder pedal. It had an aluminum prop. Sure enough she picked me up then. A couple minutes later she asked my position. Being the good student I had my California guide to airports open. So I slid open the pilots window, looked down, and consulted the book. I promptly replied directly over the officers club!!! It sounded like she was laughing her ass off when she radioed back her "roger".

Be clear, calm, and honest. They're human too.