Guys,

For a local opinion from an experienced builder friend of mine, who is also a long time EAA Chapter Technical Counselor for two chapters, I called him today.

I'm going with his advice that new inspections by the Feds followed by designated flight testing would only be prudent for major changes that will affect the flight characteristics. Small changes that change or add (small) weight distribution should be recorded as far as what they weigh, where the changes are in the airframe, and be included in a re-done weight and balance, or better yet, an actual re-weighing to figure the flight range. A new engine, same model as the one removed has no significance.

So far the only change (for weight & balance) I have made is the cabin heater kit. I will probably add the thermostats as well. My friend has a set of scales, so I may be re-weighing as well.

Since this EAB plane was built by another, I will be getting my Condition Inspection (not an Annual) by my regular mechanic. He is aware of what I am doing. If I had a ELSA I would be taking the Rainbow repairman's certificate class. If I built a kit or something with the 51% rule I would certainly apply for my repairman's certificate for that aircraft.

Skot