Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder Pedals KF III

Default Rudder Pedals KF III

Hello,

my Kitfox III has the following rudder pedals (Pic1). In this confirguration I often touch the brake without any intention.
    This is dangerous during landing because the plane often drift off.
    First I removed the metal plate to position my feet behind the brakes (Pic2), but now I have an very uncomfortable position.
    During flight I could earn the comfortable position but I touch the brakes continiously and they will get set and it's dangerous, too.
    I land with set brakes after a flight by 2,5 hrs, it was a wet gras strip fortunately!!!
    Has anybody Pedals like Pic 3 for sale or an idea to build better pedals?

Thanks

Olaf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (48.3 KB, 170 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.5 KB, 167 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.0 KB, 167 views)

Default Re: Rudder Pedals KF III

I have a KFlV, and I am also curious. Some way to adapt those from the later models or even a Cessna or Piper. Perhaps a pattern available from someone who has made their own.

Do a search. There was a thread a year or two ago about this problem. I have the stock Kitfox III rudder pedals. As I recall John over at Kitfox said they were working on a retrofit. Never heard an answer after John's post though. I'd buy a retrofit if they had one.

All I can say is use your tiptoes best you can. I sometimes swerve all over the runway if I forget to use my tiptoes.

Here is the thread.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...=Pedals&page=3
    Last edited by Peteohms; 09-01-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Couple things.
    1. It looks like your rudder pedals are tipped back towards the pilot a bit. If you set them so at full deflection they just clear the firewall that may help. If you have a problem pushing to full travel you could then build up the bottom tube of the rudder pedal to give even more clearance on the brake.
    2. You see how much stem is sticking out of the top of the brake cylinder? I cut my stems off about 1/4-1/2 inch and rethreaded the stem. This will tip the brake pedal back out of the way.
    3. I see that your pedals don't have the recomended reinforcing. Might want to check Kitfox Service Bulletins.

Good Luck!

I learned how to keep my feet off the brakes during landing.

landing check list:
    FFFF

Fuel
    Flaps--none for 3 pt. Some for wheel landing
    Fifty mph
    Feet---off the brakes
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Hopefully this is not stealing the thread....

I see that your pedals don't have the recommended reinforcing. Might want to check Kitfox Service Bulletins.
    I don't have the "reinforcing kit" either, but have had triangular reinforcements welded on.

As I recall John over at Kitfox said they were working on a retrofit. Never heard an answer after John's post though. I'd buy a retrofit if they had one.
    I noticed in the Kitfox Parts List that the following is listed, can somebody verify if this is the retrofit kit that was mentioned earlier in the post?

KitfoxCatalogue.jpg

Does anyone have a photo of what these parts look like or what the kit contains?

As I recall John over at Kitfox said they were working on a retrofit. Never heard an answer after John's post though. I'd buy a retrofit if they had one.
    I ask John about that last week, the answer was only "Sorry, that type of pedal is not one that we make". I get no any information of option to upgrade or something like this.

1. It looks like your rudder pedals are tipped back towards the pilot a bit. If you set them so at full deflection they just clear the firewall that may help. If you have a problem pushing to full travel you could then build up the bottom tube of the rudder pedal to give even more clearance on the brake.
    2. You see how much stem is sticking out of the top of the brake cylinder? I cut my stems off about 1/4-1/2 inch and rethreaded the stem. This will tip the brake pedal back out of the way.
    1. When I tipped the pedal forward to the firewall the brake will come backward itself, that not solves the problem.
    2. I cutted the stem but it's not enough for non touch the brake during flight. At Pic 2 you see the version with full angel (to pilot) to set my feet (9 1/2) behind the brake.

landing check list:
    FFFF
    Nice idea :-)

Thanks for comments, additional are welcome...

Olaf