Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mk2 tail wheel spring

Default Mk2 tail wheel spring

The lower leaf on the two leaf tail spring on my Mk2 has broken just behind the bracket.I have read on this forum some time ago about adding a third leaf to beef it up.The spring on Just Aircraft Sky Raider 2& Escapade is the same length&shape,only it is a single leaf approx 8-10mm thick(and I think I can get my hands on one).Question is, has anyone used this type of single leaf spring and how did it fare on a Kit Fox?.I cant see why it would not be ok,but someone might know better by experience

Default Re: Mk2 tail wheel spring

I can understand why no one would mess around with different tail spring in the USA,as they are only $100.Not so easy to get hold of over here.The afor mentioned one piece spring available here is $200.Going to have one made.Sorry I mentioned J--- A------- on this forum

Fred-

Our favorite Aircraft manufacturer probably has them in stock- I just got one from them. Best part is it is a bolt on accessory. (No such thing as bad bolt on's in my opinion) Call John or Debra McBean at Kitfox- they will hook you up.

However- I have a model 4, I don't know if there is a difference in springs between a 2 and a 4

Do they not have automotive spring shops in the UK? In a pinch you could have one made.

Dick B

John
    I could have a look around my area I had a tail wheel spring made in Worthing for my Jodel long time ago now but they may still be around, give me the dimensions if you want me to have a go?
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Fred I mean sorry!!!!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for replies Dave,Dick&68niou1.I got a leaf similar to the broken one from a local LAA inspector.It had to be cut &drilled (not easy to drill)but I am airbourn again.Going to have two leaves made up at automotive spring maker,just in case. Thanks gents

I was told by a spring shop to never drill a pilot hole, just the full size hole in one pass. Reason is that the heat from drilling will harden the metal so it's way harder to make a second pass with a larger drill bit. Obviously a drill press is the tool to use so you can put enough pressure on the drill bit. Jim Chuk

Hi Jim
    With great difficulty I managed to get 3mm pilot holes,then opened them up with tapered reamers.It was suprising how easy the reamers did their work,mabe I was lucky .Thanks for info