Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trailering a KF long distance

Default Re: trailering a KF long distance

Here's a trailer I offered a number of times without getting a single inquiry so apparently there's not much of a market for open Kitfox trailers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,

I personally would consider trailering as a last resort.

There has been many a damaged plane from just one thing overlooked or some weird occurance .

I considered trailering when getting my 5 from Pittsburg to Regina.

In the end I got a fellow to ferry it for $ 1500 plus expenses , it was insured under US owner's plan til de-registration.

These birds are made to fly !
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Gary, how about posting some pics of your trailer and supports?
    This is the only pic I have as of today, its in need of paint now and a few more braces I think.

Bolted to front of trailer brace, used 1inch square tube
    Last edited by wheelerg; 08-27-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added info
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

I really dont love the idea to support the tail on frame...i sure it is better to support her on his tail wheel..i see two plane moving like that ..and both are damage on tail frame...one titan tornado and my kitfox..the guy's who transport my plane put the tail on trailer frame with a lot of foam..but two tube on frame curve.......just take a look how it is support on trailer from Kitfox factory...on tail wheel..

Hi Gary
    This is just an opinion but I would suggest using a much lighter sprung trailer.The picture looks like a "car hauler" meant for carrying a few thousand pounds. Your 700 pound a/c won`t provide enough weight to soften the ride.
    If you are going to use this trailer I would at least recommend a shock absorbing arrangement at the tail end.
    You may want to look at the setup I use (look on my albums) in order to distribute the load on my Vixen.The are 2 carry through tubes on the rear fuselage that I pin a "saddle"arrangement to.If you mounted this on a suspension assembly I believe it would be easier on the a/c than what I see on your photograph.
    It would be a shame to bend it now.
    Good luck
    Don

don, i was looking at your photo album. what is the yellow channel that is vertical at the tail of the plane?
    thanks, ken

Jean-Francois's comment caught my eye. The car hauler thoughts that they are designed to soften the load of heavy weights prompted me to make the pictured tail support when I moved my finished Model IV 50 miles to test fly. The support doesn't hold the tail high, but it has a spring supporting a telescoping tube with a delrin ring that fits under the main tailwheel bolt. I put the tail of the airplane on the stand and put a couple of straps over and around the tail wheel spring angled forward. The stand is drilled so it can be screwed to the wood trailer deck.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Ken
    The yellow assembly is just 2 one by twos with foam attached to the top ends. This sits over the 2 inch square tubing that supports the rear of the fuselage.
    The foam ends slide up between the flaperons and rudder in order to protect the paint and support the rudder from miss alignment.
    I will use the same system in my new "covered wagon".(pics in the album)
    My idea this fall is to trailer the Vixen down to Page,AZ and spend a while in the canyon area. Possibly then on to Casa Grande for a month or so. I will use the RV for towing and my "home".
    Hope it all works out.
    Cheers
    Don
    Not sure what customs will say when I show up at the border with my Canadian a/c in tow!

Kitfox2009
    Looks like a great adventure is coming up, I have a few suggestions:
    1) I would recommend writing a check list for loading the Kitfox in the Covered Wagon.
    2) when you cross into the US stop at the Border Patrol Check point and get a picture with the Canadian/American BP with a sign on the side of the Covered Wagon saying Kitfox2009 - Vacation headed to Grand Canyon 2014". When you get back you can show the Canadian BP Agent the photo of you, your Kitfox, and the Covered wagon heading South.
    3) Make sure you have the camera set up to Date Stamp the photo with Date & Time you crossed the Border. It will help getting back in, showing when you departed.
    4) it will also document your trip so you can post it in the forum, for your Kitfox family, so we can vacation vicariously.

I looked at your Covered Wagon, good idea, less chance for damage from the road during the trip.

Have a great vacation, looks like an adventure.

Paul Z
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

G`morning Paul
    Good suggestions. I like your idea of the pics at the border. Even though the a/c is Canadian registered it could save some turmoil when returning.
    I do use a check list for loading/unloading. It is OK if one is doing it quite often but after a few months I find "retraining" necessary!
    Looking forward to the trip.
    Cheers
    Don