Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail wheel dolly?

Default Tail wheel dolly?

I just bought a Speedster. I am keeping at the local airport until I'm proficient enough to land next to my barn.

The local FBO has enough hangar space for me if I keep the wings folded. Problem is, with gas in the tanks and the wings folded back, fuel leaks out of the filler caps.

I thought I could solve the problem if I had a device that would lift the tail wheel up so the longitudinal axis is parallel with the ground before folding the wings. Then I could wheel the airplane into the hangar by the same device.

Does such a contraption exist?

Default Re: Tail wheel dolly?

You can make one. I used a mover's dolly and built on it. Works like a charm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, Jerrytex. Looks practical and easy to build.

I was thinking more of a lever design that could be slipped under/around the tail wheel with a long arm/handle. Once around the wheel, the handle could be pushed down, lifting the tail with ease while simultaneously rocking onto wheels or casters to move around.

I may end up with your design to get going for now. Thanks again.
    Last edited by HILBILI; 08-21-2014 at 06:06 AM.

Harbor Freight has motorcycle jacks.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

A friend built one for his Avid that attaches to the towing tongue mounts with a large (10"?) pneumatic caster wheel - of course from HF.

Works good for him. I keep forgetting to photograph it…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Skypirate has a sketch of one one in his photo album.
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

Great discussion since I have to fold the wings every time I fly.
    I like Skypirates idea on photo 21 of his Album.
    What ever the design is, I feel the dolly needs to be pinned to the fuselage like Jerry Tex did to prevent a real bad day if it ever fell off with the wings folded.
    I am hoping Larry can get a photo of his friends design since I have heard that it may have a lever arm that both raises the tail and is also used as a tow bar.
    I envision the the Sky Pirate design that straddles the tailwheel in a near horizontal position with small wheels to roll it in place.
    Then pin it to the rear towing position, then pull back on an approx. 4-5 foot long bar with a tee handle to raise the tail, then pin it to the front tow position.
    At some point when raising the tail the dolly will transition to the castering wheel. Since my hanger floor is gravel I would use a large castering wheel.
    The design challenge is to get the dolly to break over center so it will stay in place till you get the second pin in place and then have the tee handle end up at the appropriate height for both raising and lowering and moving the airplane.
    In the mean time I designed a simple, fool proof quick drain at the header tank that only takes a minute/ gallon if I need to and is very useful when you need to drain the fuel system.
    Herman

As Herman mentioned, I was nervous about it falling off the stand so I used a ratchet strap and a pin. Once I was comfortable rolling it around, I didn't use the the strap any more and it worked great rolling in and out of a PAVED hangar. Gravel would be challenging but I bet you could use ATV tires or use a couple of sheets of plywood to roll it on to.

image.jpg

I use a home made dolly to move my Vixen around. Would think a beefed up version would work well with a tail dragger.
    Cheers
    Don

Love the reg, I have C-FOXD reserved