Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tail wheel dolly?

Default Re: Tail wheel dolly?

I trailer to the airport (2 mi) and keep the plane at home. To roll on and off the trailer into the barn I constructed the dolly shown. It stays on the trailer at the airport. Wings are unfolded/folded on the trailer due to using
    a nose wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neville,
    Very nice set up. I have been thinking of trailering my trigrear for some longer trips. Tell us more about the yellow dolly and how you load/unload with the winch.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

The Issue with moving a nose wheel aircraft around with a tail dolly is designing the dolly so that the nose wheel is not in contact with the surface. The fact that the folded wings transfer weight to the tail greatly simplifies the design. As seen in the photo the dolly attaches to the plane
    using pins in the through tubes of lower tail. The dolly has a square main vertical member with another square tube sliding inside which carries
    the frame that attaches to the aircraft. It has to be capable of sliding up and down as when the wings are unfolded the weight shift puts the nose wheel on the trailer deck and the tail rises. The tubes have a locking pin
    for transport. The frame work is free to swivel in order that the dolly can be rotated to steer and maneuver the aircraft. It also has a locking pin. The winch is a power in/power out with a remote wireless control. The on and off sequence is straight forward and very easily done by one person. My son is in the process of editing a video which will be posted on u-tube
    at a later date. Note; the winch shown was a temporary manual type.

Neville, when you transport do you keep the nose wheel in the air or is it on the trailer deck?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

the tail wheel is in the air while on the trailer. The tires on the dolly cushion
    the ride for the tail, however I am considering the installation of a short shock absorber inside the vertical tubes. The trailer is a pontoon boat trailer without the bunks but with the short ladder. Cost 1600. new at the
    factory in the mid west.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    You can make one. I used a mover's dolly and built on it. Works like a charm.
    Very nice! What's the deck height you're using, from the ground to where the tail rests on the stand?

I'll have to measure when I get a chance, But I think it's 28ish inches tall.