Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to replace old Warner Electric trim actuator?

Default Time to replace old Warner Electric trim actuator?

I'm going over everything on my third-hand Kitfox Model 5 Vixen & making a list of things to replace or improve.

Any opinions about whether I should replace my well-used horizontal trim actuator and motor? It is probably the original Warner S12 17A8-04 from when the plane was built (2003) and could have 1600 hours on it. Should I trust this?

Thanks much,

Skot

Vixen N24V
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: Time to replace old Warner Electric trim actuator?

Hi Skot
    I have a 1999 Vixen and at 120 hours replaced the trim jackscrew because it jammed in the full down position and the motor burned out .The a/c was still flyable but required heavy control inputs.
    The original owner/builder replaced the rocker switch with toggle switch and it stuck in the down position.

Have over 500 hours with no issues.

Cheers
    Don

Working on my KF 5 kit from the 90's. It has the Warner trim actuator. It's brand new sealed in the box. I am sure there is a newer style now but curious to know what if any problems were associated with the older trim actuators? Any reasonable reason I shouldn't use the one I have? I hate to buy a new one to replace a "new" one. I did see a thread about a making a bracket in case the casting broke. That would be an easy, worth while retrofit.

Jerry,

In my third hand Kitfox Vixen, I gladly replaced the old Warner unit with the different currently available electric trim unit (bought from the Kitfox factory), in the interest of safety. Years ago, a local Kitfox owner had a significant crash landing directly related to the failure of the casting on the Warner unit. In his current Kitfox 6 he has converted the elevator trim to a trim tab system operated by cables instead. The new model electric trim jack screw I have came with an added strapped-on bracket that will keep control of gross pitch changes in the unlikely event of a casting failure. I’m sure you can (or will) find out more about it from other KF owners.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

So it's a breakage concern more than anything? I think if I decide to use it, I'll construct the safety bracket mentioned in another post. Might as well get whatever use out of it as I can if it can safely be done.

Yes, if you can fabricate a redundant add-on gadget that will keep everything together if your jack screw housing fails, great. Maybe a call to John & Debra to see if they have such a part, without having to replace a Warner with no time on it. Mine (Warner) was working fine & doing its job but I just didn’t trust it (after talking to my friend who crash landed because of the broken part).

Be safe. Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Kitfox Aircraft has the reinforcement bracket kit for the jack screws. 208-337-5111

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

When I bought my current KF5 project, the trim jack screw was one of the parts missing so I bought the latest one that Kitfox is now using along with the factory safety kit. I did not think to ask about what amp fuse to use for it though. Does anyone have what the max amp on the trim motor would be?

John McBean told me it was a 7amp trim motor. Then I got to buy the Safety Trim Booster to get my auto pilot to be able to drive that motor for trim.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I used a 7.5 amp circuit breaker for mine.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016