Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 oil question-what is this for?

Default Rotax 582 oil question-what is this for?

Check out the photo. What the heck is the second oil container for? I've been looking at this for months and just now noticed the tiny oil, I assume that's what in there, tank above the head. In my prep for engine removal, I took a bunch of photos tonight and I can't figure out what the purpose of that tank is.

I should mention here that two strokes and I don't get along. I should take glider lessons before I fly this thing. I have thrown away one chain saw, two outboards, and two weed whackers over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Rotax 582 oil question-what is this for?

Let me first state that I have never flown behind a two stroke engine or have owned one. That being said, I do remember reading somewhere about there being an oil tank that would mix the fuel and oil on the fly as it is being delivered to the engine. My understanding is that most users don't use this in case you ever have a problem with oil delivery. You would then just used mixed gas in the fuel tank. Again though, this is just what I remember reading somewhere.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Hi

That oïl tank is for the rotary valve OIL. (not related with fuel).

The oil goes down to lubricate the rotary valve SHAFT and the rotary valve and goes back up to the tank.

The oïl used is the same as your 'mixing' oïl.
    Don't overfill pass the MAX line .

I suggest you get the free online manuals for the 582.

see chapter 13 of this installation manual

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.co...kus/d00287.pdf
    Jacques
    Series 5 Outback
    0-235 L2C

First I have never had a 582, but have been around many of them.

This is not part of the oil injection system. It is not a combusted or "consumed" oil. It is the oil supply for the rotary valve shaft. If this tank goes dry, your motor quits. It is just as important as the oil mixed in the fuel.

The oil type used here is the same oil as the oil mixed into the fuel, by either injection or premix.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

bleed it from the bottom up like a brake line .

Thanks guys! I've never flown behind one either! That's why I should take glider lessons. Thanks for the manual link. I better bone up on this monster, my life will depend on it!
    The left side of the engine above the carbs is one mess of tubes and wires. That's why I couldn't see where those oil lines went. I did dip the tank and saw it was full of oil. That's why I assumed it was part of the oil injection system.

beeryboats, you have a GREY HEAD version of the 582.. This was changed in 99 by the BLUE HEAD and the main 'upgrade' is at the rotary valve seal.

This is the weak point of the 582. If the seal fail, you may have oïl in the coolant or worst,,,coolant in the oïl..

oïl in coolant can be seen in the CLEAR coollant overflow bottle.
    Coolant in oil can be seen with some white spots in the oil reservoir.

have a look at this

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...73231344,d.cGU
    Last edited by foxy; 08-18-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Jacques
    Series 5 Outback
    0-235 L2C

If you take the engine off and drain out the oil from the rotary valve shaft area, make sure to get the air out of that system when you reinstall the engine and refill this bottle. This is doubly important on an inverted engine. I filled up the system by pouring oil into the bottle end of the lower (on engine) hose. As it fills, it pushes out the air up through the upper hose (on engine). There is also a bleed screw that helps to get the air out in heads up engine. You can't just fill the bottle and think you are good to go. This oil lubes the rotary valve shaft, and the gear on it and on the crankshaft that turns it and the gears wont last long without oil. Then things get quiet. If you are successful in the landing, you can now rebuild your engine. Jim Chuk

Yeah, I hate quiet. That's why I work at a diesel shop. Lot's of noise all the time.

Grey Head 582’s came originally with basic O-ring seals on the rotary valve shaft which are known to degrade, especially if the owner wasn't careful to use a silicate free anti-freeze (Dex-Cool) and only distilled water. Blue Heads have an improved ceramic seal. I had mine upgraded to the ceramic design and haven't had any issues so far. It is important to periodically check the level and visual quality of the oil in that resevoir. It could go up or down, turn brownish or milky white. Also, during my annual condition inspection I replace the oil in the system with fresh 2-stroke oil.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med