Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 prop selection

Default 582 prop selection

I am looking for a new prop for my Kitfox model 2. It has a 582 with a B gear box. I have a 3 blade GSC prop, but my plane only cruises at 55mph with that prop. Reading the specs from Kitfox, it said cruise should be 85. I don't believe I will ever see that, but 70-75 I should be able to get to. I tried a 3 blade adjustable warp drive prop, but it didn't work well on my plane. I got more speed out of it, but the plane didn't seem to like to perform real well all around with it . I'm considering going to a 2 blade, I'm just curious what other people are seeing for speed and performance out of their model 2? Also, what is the best prop to use for these planes?
    My plane has a 950 gross, empty weight is 563. I also know my tundra tires and grove gear will add drag.
    Thanks
    Andy

Default Re: 582 prop selection

i have a model 2 with hks 700e with powerfine two blades
    70" and i cruise 66 mhp and climb 700 ft/ min

my empty weight is 595 lbs

david

Default Re: 582 prop selection

On my 2, I was running an IVO 3 blade adjustable. The book says you can run it as a 2 blade also with the proper spacers. I never have, but the previous owner did, and claimed to get 90 out of it. IDK about that. But I saw 80-83 honest loaded up and in cruise (the short time I flew her). Hope that helps….

Denny
    N389HW (wounded)