Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: iFLY 720 GPS

Default Re: iFLY 720 GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I have purchased an Apple iPad Air with that has the new A7 processor, 2core 64 bit processor. Hopefully my overheating will be resolved with the dual core processor.
    I don't know, Paul. Mine has the A7 w/ dual core, & it overheats. If you keep the sun off of it, it's fine. In my Thorp, with the sliding canopy, that's a little harder- at least when it's on your knee or the seat beside you- than it would be in a high wing machine like a Kitfox.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

My old one would overheat taxing from the hanger to Take off, less than 5 minutes. To use it flying to Oshkosh, I would open it up, read it, and then push the button to turn it off. Even doing that twice I had to wet my hand rub the water on the back of the case, and put it in front of the air vent to cool it off. I also have a sun shade over the top to minimize sunlight on my head and on the display.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-25-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Add comment
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have been using both Ifly and Foreflight and I find them both great to work with. I mainly use the Ifly as my navigation tool and the fore flight as my info resource for airports. either one will do both, if one would fail I'm still in the game.

After my ifly 700 mount let go in flight, I removed the rubber suction cup by pressing the back side and unhooking the lever. That left a hole in the center through which I inserted an AN 3 bolt with a large area washer. Drilled a hole in the proper area of the panel and fastened with another large area washer and nut behind the panel. No more worries about the unit dropping off in flight.
    OneNinerWhiskey

My new ipad worked flawlessly flyin from Texas to Homedale Idaho. Much better, I'm glad I dropped my old one!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I use an iPad 3 with ForeFlight. The only time I had it overheat/shutdown is when I set it on the glare shield during taxi. Since then I am careful to keep it out of the sun. Foreflight is an energy hog and it really heats up the iPad even when I'm siting in my home. Add to that the heating effect of the charger and it does get quite warm. I'm sure it would cool better if I took it out of the case but I'm a little shy to do so having broken the screen once.

My biggest problem is keeping the iPad charged for longer flights. I keep it plugged into the accessory socket but the little 2.1 amp charger can just barely keep up. It will maintain whatever level of charge I start with but will not top off the battery when ForeFlight is running.

Without the charger I can get about 3 hours on Foreflight with a fully charged battery.

John P

If you don't need the GPS or weather info your ipad can last 8+ hours running foreflight with that stuff turned off.