Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: iFLY 720 GPS

Default iFLY 720 GPS

Does anyone have any experience with the Adventure Pilot 720 GPS ?
    how is the screen in the sunlight? map speed ? ect..

Default Re: iFLY 720 GPS

I have a 700 ..a friend has a 720..his is readable in direct sunlight..mine is too but not as "bright"? clear..he can update his thru wifi..I have to load my SD card..they both draw low amps/volts..both are ADS-B adaptable..I have roads loaded as well..he does not..very versatile GPS..tons of info ..plates approaches etc and selectable as to which you upload..sectionals too..you don't have to load every chart..just the ones you use
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I thought about going to a I fly 720, but chose an I pad mini , (the cellular unlocked version , with wifi and gps chip,! It was almost half the money ! I chose fore flight app which is $75 per year plus in a use the iPad for other uses too!

Happy shopping
    Patrick series 6

I have a IPad as well. My first IPad was great until it got stolen. My IPad 2 overheats constantly, to the point it shuts itself down until lit cools off. I just got back from Oshkosh, I had to keep turning it on and off to keep it cool. At one point I had to wet my hand and rub the back of the case to keep it cool enough to use, once I wrote down the Approach, Tower, & Ground frequencies I turned it off. The good thing I dropped it on the driveway, the day I got back, shattering the screen, so I either get a new IPad Mini or I get a Garmine GPS. Seeing it will be my 3rd IPad, I'm not really sold on it!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have the 720 and have been using it for 2 years and like it very much. The new update that just came out even makes it a better choice. All screens flow better from one to another and the selection buttons now are better identified and a bit larger. Although I have the 720 and it is okay in direct sunlight I still find it hard to see. If they had the same resolution as Dynon or Garmin the Ifly would be hard to beat for price and features.
    Just my .02

Jim

I have a new iFly 720 as well as a newer ("Retna screen") iPad Mini. I find the iFly screen at least as bright & readable in sunlight as my Garmin 196. The iPad is terrible in that regard, IMHO, even with the expensive anti-glare screen protector recommended by the folks with Foreflight. The VFR updates for the 720 are $69/year, which includes up to date Sectional, vector and WAC charts for the entire U.S., as opposed to $40 a shot (28 day cycles) for the Garmin updates, which is why I usually only update it once a year. The iFly data also includes Google Earth views of thousands of airports, fuel prices, etc., etc. It's a great unit, which stores it's data on an SD memory card, has built in WiFi (can be updated with that) which can connect it with other devices like an ADS-B unit, etc. It has a dual core processor that is much faster than the old iFly units. You can drive an autopilot from its usb port. I love it so far. I use my iPad for flight planning, & I use it in the cockpit to a limited degree, but the iPad has some serious flaws for use there - again, IMHO. Mine also is prone to overheating & shutting down. I've also experienced noise in the audio circuit that sounds like a stuck mic at certain frequencies when it's plugged into ship's power. I'll personally take the unit designed for aviation any day over an iPad, if I had to choose one over the other. Oh, & by the way, my iPad, with GPS & 32 GB of memory was more expensive than the iFly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

In re-reading my post, I see I made an error talking about "fuel prices". You can access any of the sites (like AirNav) with the iFly's built-in browser, but fuel prices aren't part of the airport information in the database. However, iFly says that it is something they are thinking about for a future section in the database, which could be updated by users.
    I know this all sounds like an advertisement, but I really like this unit so far.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Fuel prices are listed on the ForeFlight App if you are using an IPad.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have been looking for a GPS since I dropped my iPad shattering my screen. The iFly720 looks very interesting. Having looked at the Garmin it looks nice but the XM weather runs about $50 per month, and the ADS-B antenna is $500. it is a little pricy for me!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks for all the info. I currently have a motorola xoom with avare. its pretty slow in the mapping mode and pretty much impossible to read in any sunlight. I'm trying to find the best bang for the buck and really wont need it very often.