Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iFLY 720 GPS

Default Re: iFLY 720 GPS

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I got a Nexus 7 tablet last fall and uploaded Avare aviation GPS software on it. (free android software) Worked good for me. Easy to see in the sunlight. The Nexus 7 is the tablet recommended on the Avare site. I got a new Nexus 7 (2012 version, 32 GB) on ebay for $149 with free shipping. Way less than Walmart wanted. I havn't used the IFLY or others, but this worked well for me. Cheap also! The tablet works good for going on the net when on a trip also if you can get wifi. Jim Chuk
    I almost got a Nexus 7 instead if the iPad. I wish I had. It looks like a good unit.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

My iPad would shut down CONSTANTLY.. Once I taxied from the Hanger to the North end of the runway for Take Off, when I was holding waiting on clearance to T/O it gave me the Overheating message and shut down as I was taking off!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Some additional observations...

- Dual processor loads info fast, works in landscape or portrait view. The chart detail, screen brightness and resolution are all very good, and the function touch buttons 'disappear' allowing more info display on screen. I like the ability to shut off the terrain alerts but still display a vertical moving terrain profile.

- The WiFi database updates work flawlessly, but internet browser is almost useless. It does 'bookmark' visited sites to make subsequent visits load quicker. Good for Wx and TFR updates via WiFi if your phone dies I suppose.

- The remote is more handy than I expected. Not full featured but allows quick access to the most commonly used functions and airport info, including private airports (love the satellite 'realview' of airports and taxi ways).

- All of the electrical connections are made on the sides, not the back, of the unit. The back of the unit is flat, which means the Velcro hook & loop 'poor man's' mounting option direct to the panel or another flat surface mount in your collection works great.

- I originally had the GPS mounted overhead between the 'V' just aft of the forward carry thru tube using the supplied iFly suction cup mount. The mount has multiple articulation joints and is fairly long overall, so I got a very noticeable and annoying jiggle that made the unit hard to read. I found using a shorter RAM mount helped.

- The glass skylight, even with my re-positionable auto shades overhead, made viewing the screen detail difficult due to the glare at times. Enough so that I want to move it down to my panel with a slightly angled, quick remove mounting option flush with, but not cut into, the panel. FWIW, setting the unit to vector maps in night view provided the best high-contrast map for sunlight glare. Will try anti-reflective screen film someday, this stuff was recommended by another user. LINK

- I spoke to the good folks from Adventure Pilot at OSH about surface mounts and they recommended trying this 2-part mount: Swivel Base with Mounting Plate. Interesting but pricey. I am also considering two other base mount alternatives: a RecMounts REC-B43G suction cup mount LINK (which will require a RAP-B-375U 1-inch 'T-slot' adapter ball LINK; and, in the event I can't find a good spot for the suction cup mount, a PanaVise 651-TS 'T-Bolt' Adjusting Knuckle short post mount LINK. Both of these socket base options should position the iFly closer to the panel than the typical Ram ball base with double socket arm, and still allow quick angle changes to minimize reflections.

- I used the Streets GPS function driving to and from AirVenture this year and found it quite adequate, once I shut off the "You are over the speed limit" voice warning . Only real nits were the display was too bright at night regardless of the night scheme selected, ie. no manual night brightness control (I just put down the sun visor to cover), and the voice announce turn warnings on non-highway roads often came so close to a turn that I simply couldn't slow fast enough.

Still learning but it seems like a very good bang for the buck, no regrets yet. Might try their new app if you have a tablet already.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I just mounted mine in the panel with remote connections including SD card
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by dholly View Post
    Some additional observations...

- I spoke to the good folks from Adventure Pilot at OSH about surface mounts and they recommended trying this 2-part mount: Swivel Base with Mounting Plate. Interesting but pricey. I am also considering two other base mount alternatives: a RecMounts REC-B43G suction cup mount LINK (which will require a RAP-B-375U 1-inch 'T-slot' adapter ball LINK; and, in the event I can't find a good spot for the suction cup mount, a PanaVise 651-TS 'T-Bolt' Adjusting Knuckle short post mount LINK. Both of these socket base options should position the iFly closer to the panel than the typical Ram ball base with double socket arm, and still allow quick angle changes to minimize reflections.
    Because it's still new to me, I really appreciate that info Doug! Thanks for the links.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I finally read through this thread and have to thank those who posted. I have the IFLY 700 and struggled with it viewing wise. I was seriously thinking of the IPad Mini, but second thoughts now. I just might fork out for the 720 - seriously tempted.

I wanted to share with the group my solution to the visibility issue. Keep in mind that I very seldom fly with another on board so passenger room is not an issue.

The first two photos show the GPS mounted

GPS Mount 1.jpg

GPS Mount 2.jpg

This shows the telescoping tubing and attachment for the GPS

GPS Mount 3.jpg

This shows the attachment point on the transverse tube behind and below the instrument panel. Note the thumb screw on the mount that allows for removal of the entire tube assembly when desired.

GPS Mount 4.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    Do you experience any vibration of the unit with it cantilevered out that far? As we've seen before, you came up with a really cool way to solve a problem. Not many people would have the ability to design & construct the multitude of custom details that you have built for your bird. Nice job!

I'm not sure if the 720 is a brighter/sharper display than the 700... I think it might be, but don't know for sure. It seems very good to me. I also just ordered the anti-glare screen protector that Adventure Pilot offers.

I purchased a couple of parts from Pro Clip for mounting on the panel of my project. I machined a little adapter plate to mate the 720 with the Pro Clip stuff. The 720 will now be nice & close to the panel (unlike with a RAM mount) & still have sufficient angle adjustment.
    Last edited by jrevens; 08-19-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John,
    No on the vibration. I had the unit mounted with the suction cup mount in the only location I had on the panel to attach it. That was where the CO indicator is clear across the panel. I guess part of my problem is that in the old days, there was just a line indication course and a few circles etc. to indicate airspace and restricted areas with the little silhouette to show me. With the Sectional in the background it was sort of visual overload from that distance and I needed it closer to my eyes to enhance the detail. I know there are viewing options to take me back to the "good old days" but I wanted to see if I can make it work with all the bells and whistles. One more thought on the suction cup mount, I would often find the GPS on the floor when prepping for a flight because the cup suction would fail and I guess I didn't want that to have to be part of the preflight - checking on that - or having it happen in flight.

I guess it's really like the three old guys in the greeting card Kay and I saw the other day. The first guy says "It's windy". The Second guy says, "No it's Thursday". The third guy says, "I'm thirsty too, lets go get a beer".

The volume is a bit louder, the glasses a bit thicker as well as the cushions and the lights a bit brighter. I can still do all the things I used to do, but in twice the time. Life is good.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Do you have a photo of your mount?

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Lowell,
    I purchased a couple of parts from Pro Clip for mounting on the panel of my project. I machined a little adapter plate to mate the 720 with the Pro Clip stuff. The 720 will now be nice & close to the panel (unlike with a RAM mount) & still have sufficient angle adjustment.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I went to the iFly web page they have iFly 720, Re-Certified iFly 720 : Limited Quantity Price $599.00. I would guess they are the returned iFlys that didn't work correctly, and these are Refurbished. They sell them with a 1 Year Warrantly like new. I just talked to Walter at iFly. They are located in McKinney Texas, I have decided to go up and touch, feel. look at one of the units. I'll post my opinion on the iFly 720 after my visit! He said they also have a 30 day money back guarantee, that if you decide you don't like it and just want to go back to a tablet they would refund your money.

https://www.iflygps.com/shop-t136/re...-quantity.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I found it for $689 on My Pilot Store. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-19-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added a comment
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas