Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about training and insurance for new pilot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Question about training and insurance for new pilot

Well I've got about 35 hours logged in a 172. Any time before that wasn't really for training so it wasn't logged but I basically grew up in the copilot seat of a P210.

I don't really have any medical reasons to necessitate light sport but I am on a medication for migraine headaches that will require a special issuance. Part of which will require a battery of expensive and time consuming tests that I am not sure I want to invest in at this point although my AME doesn't think it will be an issue. The medication has zero impact on me. I tried to go off it for obtaining a private certificate but the original issues I started taking it for flared up again. I am better off on it than without it.

Being that a Kitfox is the aircraft I would really like to fly it just made sense to me financially to go for light sport at this point and possibly use it as a stepping stone towards private in the future.

I understand the fact that if an aircraft is registered over 1320 that it can't be re-registered under the limit to comply with light sport rules.

The other factor is that really the only aircraft available around me is a 172 and it seems like if I even look at the thing it costs me $150 or so. Since I'm not looking to fly for travel or anything at this point the private certificate just doesn't make as much sense as light sport. The problem with that is that there are no light sport aircraft available in my area which would necessitate me buying one to train in. The problem with that is that I think insurance would be hard to obtain and I really don't want to self insure a $30k+ aircraft.

I'm sort-of leaning towards finding a relatively inexpensive Model 2-4 to train in, (hopefully not beat it up too bad), and sell it towards a Model 5+ once I am more insurable.

There are a couple really nice aircraft fairly close that are better oriented towards my end-goal but I'm just not comfortable at this point pulling the trigger to buy one until I'm comfortable with the insurance end of it. I'll have to start making some phone calls to see what I am up against.

I was just wondering if someone out there was in a similar situation and how they handled it.

Best recommendation is to go to Idaho, and get some hours at Stick & Rudder in a Kitfox. Almost every insurance company wants 10 hours in type.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Best recommendation is to go to Idaho, and get some hours at Stick & Rudder...
    That's good advice. Interestingly enough Tom can do training here in his Model 4 lite squared. Would you recommend getting some hours in on one of these first before thinking about buying one?

I flew Tom's plane with him and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is much more fun to fly than the 172.

If you can pass a physical, get the student certificate, train for 20 hrs in a 150, take a check ride in an LSA, if you want a sport pilot student certificate, any DPE or FSDO can issue one at no charge.
    If you have doubts about the physical, do the sport or go see a DR that is not an FAA cert physician and get a physical first, and study the NO FLY list of medical reasons why you could not obtain a PPL or pass a physical.

My model 5 is registered 1320 gross LSA
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I'm not concerned about passing the 3rd class medical. I just don't see the benefit if what I want to fly is an LSA anyway.

No 150s around here to train in but I have 35 hours in a 172 already. I just would have to switch training from private to sport.

There is just no LSA available around here to rent for a check ride.

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post
    I'm not concerned about passing the 3rd class medical...
    Greg..the advantage of getting a student license , you can train in anything 150,172,,trauma hawk etc,,then take a week end go up to Burlington VT,,there is a kitfox LSA based at the Burlington VT airport..he is training..and most likely rents his plane for flight tests,,if you call him..he must also know a DPE who will fly in an LSA ..the DPE might know of a trainer closer to you that is also flying LSA
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I can train in anything without a student license. I just can't solo in one without it.

I have my student license now but I obtained it when I wasn't on this migraine medication. Now I can't legally fly anything solo other than sport without going through the special issuance fiasco. I was planning on just letting it expire in a couple months.

If at some point in the future I want to go private then the sport is a good stepping stone. At that point I can go through the special issuance but who knows, maybe by then this whole third class medical reform will have gone through.

I can almost buy an aircraft for the cost of the battery of tests the FAA requires just to tell them what my AME and I already know.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post

My model 5 is registered 1320 gross LSA
    The talk of Sport Pilot and the 1320 lbs. Max. gross makes me wonder about the advisability of one of the later models vs. The earlier ones. My IV weighs 665a lbs giving a payload of 535 lbs. I don't recall a 5, 6 or 7 except Phil Lakers under 700 lbs. - many being way over that. Just a thought.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

It's my understanding that with the later series it is basically a 1550 lb gross aircraft that is registered at 1320 to comply with the light sport rules. Even an 800 lb aircraft will still have about the same useful load as a model 4.

Not that I plan on doing it but it's probably not unheard of to fly a later model over the LSA registered gross since it was really designed for a 1550 gross. Legally is another story.

I just think it would be better to fly at the max LSA gross when in reality it is more than that than to fly a model 4 right at the max 1200 gross.

Does that logic make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post

I just think it would be better to fly at the max LSA gross when in reality it is more than that than to fly a model 4 right at the max 1200 gross.

Does that logic make sense?
    It depends. Doe the 250 lb pilot the newer models are a couple inches wider. However we all have heard student pilots comment on how the airplane flies - jumping off the ground on the first solo after the instructor is no longer adding his weight to the takeoff weight. Structurally maybe as far as robustness is concerned, but Kitfox has an unblemished record structurally in all models, so no issue there. It all depends on personal preference. Similarly engined a lighter Kitfox will be the performance champ in all areas with the possible exception of cruise speed. Longer takeoff and landing roll, lower climb but faster cruise vs. Shorter, faster and slower is the difference with consideration of the room as well. My flying has been virtually 90% solo with gross weight flying only when going to the factory flyin with wife on board or similar trips. Just some food for thought - there is just no textbook right answer.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel