Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about training and insurance for new pilot

Default Re: Question about training and insurance for new pilot

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post

My model 5 is registered 1320 gross LSA
    The talk of Sport Pilot and the 1320 lbs. Max. gross makes me wonder about the advisability of one of the later models vs. The earlier ones. My IV weighs 665a lbs giving a payload of 535 lbs. I don't recall a 5, 6 or 7 except Phil Lakers under 700 lbs. - many being way over that. Just a thought.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

It's my understanding that with the later series it is basically a 1550 lb gross aircraft that is registered at 1320 to comply with the light sport rules. Even an 800 lb aircraft will still have about the same useful load as a model 4.

Not that I plan on doing it but it's probably not unheard of to fly a later model over the LSA registered gross since it was really designed for a 1550 gross. Legally is another story.

I just think it would be better to fly at the max LSA gross when in reality it is more than that than to fly a model 4 right at the max 1200 gross.

Does that logic make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    The talk of Sport Pilot and the 1320 lbs. Max. gross makes me wonder about the advisability of one of the later models vs. The earlier ones. My IV weighs 665a lbs giving a payload of 535 lbs. I don't recall a 5, 6 or 7 except Phil Lakers under 700 lbs. - many being way over that. Just a thought.

mine weighs 725 and I could easily hit the 700 mark, but I like it the way it is, the builder of my 5 is also a mechanical engineer,..his goal was to build it light,,at 725 I have 595 left for fuel passenger etc
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

my 5 fly's better the closer I get to Gross (1320 lbs) I like knowing the airframe is designed to handle more weight then it is registered for

something to consider..1550 x 6 = 9300 / 1320 = 7.04545...
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 08-07-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post
    I'm not concerned about passing the 3rd class medical...
    Greg..the advantage of getting a student license , you can train in anything 150,172,,trauma hawk etc,,then take a week end go up to Burlington VT,,there is a kitfox LSA based at the Burlington VT airport..he is training..and most likely rents his plane for flight tests,,if you call him..he must also know a DPE who will fly in an LSA ..the DPE might know of a trainer closer to you that is also flying LSA
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I can train in anything without a student license. I just can't solo in one without it.

I have my student license now but I obtained it when I wasn't on this migraine medication. Now I can't legally fly anything solo other than sport without going through the special issuance fiasco. I was planning on just letting it expire in a couple months.

If at some point in the future I want to go private then the sport is a good stepping stone. At that point I can go through the special issuance but who knows, maybe by then this whole third class medical reform will have gone through.

I can almost buy an aircraft for the cost of the battery of tests the FAA requires just to tell them what my AME and I already know.

ok then I would find someone close that owned a model 3/ 4/ 5 etc and see if you could try one on for size..and possibly a flight..once you taste the characteristics between the models..start shopping..you can take a sport flight test in your own plane..it does not have to be factory built..only if you plan on training other pilots in it..and even then there are ways to train in a non factory built plane..if that is a goal..

if you buy an LSA any CFI can sign you off for solo and written and flight exam
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I was on a special for migraine -actually cluster headache meds (now lapsed).

What drug are you on that is the concern? They didn't seem to have any issue with the meds I was on, prednisone, verapamil and injected imetrex. I just needed to see my neurologist annually and have him pen a letter stating I'm not dying.

(Knock on wood I've been remissed from the headaches for over two years, now hoping its permanent.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

insurance,,as a student,,I'm not so sure it's that easy to obtain insurance unless you purchase the plane with a licensed pilot as a co owner,..there are different types of insurance ,,taxi and storage insurance which only covers you on the ground,,or while hangared..and full insurance which covers you in flight as well
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    ok then I would find someone close that owned a model 3/ 4/ 5 etc and see if you could try one on for size...
    I met a great guy through this site who looks like he may be able to help with training and isn't too far away. I'm just wondering if I should be training in an aircraft I own versus someone else's ELSA that I can't solo without getting real creative.

I flew with him for a demo flight and loved it. The kind of flying you do in these planes is different and more fun than the 172.