Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible tank leak search help needed.

Default Re: Possible tank leak search help needed.

Can those of you that built your Kitfox's back in the '90's tell me if I take the wings off, can I shake the odd bits in the tanks outboard so I can suck them out with the vacuum through the filler neck? I really don't want to remove the wings, and I really, really don't want to replace the tanks. She is so pretty I just can't stand taking a knife to the wing fabric. But I don't see anything amiss besides the chunks of resin. So, can I take the wings off and shake this crap near the filler neck or not? Where are the holes in the baffles?

Here is a pic of the old tank on top of the new one. note the obvious difference in the material. You can count the new fittings, one of them is the fuel return.
    I know you don't want to do it. I don't blame you and it isn't for the faint of heart. I would not tackle it without an A&P mechanic and now you have a bill.

As for taking off the wings, no problem on a model IV. take a look at the items you will disconnect. Pitot, fuel lines, strobes, return lines, hinge pins and voila, a two man job in about 2 hours if you go slow. Do you have disconnects on all your electrical? can you vacuum out the tanks and not remove them? Did yo say you didn't like the visual filters?
    can you get more crap out of the wings by shaking them or is a vacuums the safe way? I changed em, I'm happy, I know I have done everything I can do to give a clean fuel supply to my plane.
    For what its worth. I believe it was free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tanks for the photo! I was wondering where the baffles are in the tank so I can see if I can get the chunks out. I assume there is a baffle about where a rib would be in the wing. But where are the holes in the baffle so I can shake the pieces the right direction so I can suck them out through the filler neck.

I've done the wing tank replacement three times now. It can be done in two to three days. The holes in the baffles are at the front and rear and aren't much more than an inch in diameter. Be careful vacuuming out the tanks you could collapse the tank if you put to much negative pressure on the tank. If using an electric vacuum guard against igniting the fumes being drawn into the vacuum. that could cause an explosion. If your tanks aren't leaking and the Kreem isn't coming off consider putting a glass cleanable filter after the wing tank but before the header. Most of the loose resin I found after cutting into my tanks wouldn't have made it past the finger strainers.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Nick nailed it. I'm looking for a pic of the tanks I removed. I cut them up and inspected them forensically. they were NOT healthy.
    I"ll try and get it to you tonight.

Thanks guys. No chance of a boom with these tanks, they've been dry for ten years. I didn't even get a whiff of gas out of them. I doubt I could collapse the tank with the outlet wide open and the neck half open. And I'm sure you're right about the large pieces. I really want to post some still photos so you guys can take a look. I'm sure the Kream, if it's there, is fine. I'm just worried about the massive leak at some point in the past. I guess I'll do the balloon test this weekend if I can find a balloon large enough for the filler neck. My dad used a rubber glove, but I don't usually keep those around. They go rotten too fast.

Does anybody make a polymer tank. The 13 gallon ones. Are the new "resistant resin" from Kitfox going to stand the test of time? Just asking?

There was a company making polymer tanks that went inside the existing fiberglass tanks. I don't know if they are in business anymore. Kind of a goofy setup, IMO. Cut the top off the tank insert two new tanks with hoses and clamps then put a piece of plywood over the opening. Not for me.

So far no one has complained of a failure of the "new" tanks, that I know of...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If that tank ever starts leaking, I'll turn my plane into a bon fire and roast marshmallows. I don't think there is a chance of that, but then again, I'm not a chemist.

Great New! My suspect R/H tank passed a latex glove test with flying colors. I've attached a photo from each tank. Let me know what you think. I'm inclined to run with what I have. The rod you see at the bottom of the photos is my "pointer" taped to the camera.

Ok, I give up. The kb size of the photos makes them too small to see. They seem to email just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images