Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing tip screws for the SS.

Default Wing tip screws for the SS.

I would like to use flush, countersunk machine screws for the wing tips instead of the AN526 that came with the kit. What has others used instead of the kit machine screws? I don't know what I am looking for to exchange and still use the kit nut plates. Thanks a bunch.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Wing tip screws for the SS.

This is what I'm doing on mine, Stan... I'm using 8-32 AN 509 screws with Tinnerman formed washers. You can decrease the diameter of the washer if you have to. I bonded them to the fiberglass with Hysol. I'll paint the tips, & just mask off the contact area between the screw heads & the washers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John, I hadn't thought of doing that. Are you still using the supplied nut plates?
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Yes, still using the supplied nut plates. I added a couple of thin layers of fiberglass to those edges of both ribs, as they were too thin & uneven in thickness. You can just countersink the fiberglass for the screws if you want, but I don't especially like that structurally because of the over-sized hole on the fiberglass & the close edge-hole clearance. The bonded-on washers distribute the load & make for a no-wear situation. The AN509 screws are a structural screw & probably overkill for this. I might just use some 100 deg. s.s. ones instead since I have some of those. Aircraft Spruce carries all that stuff, & if you go to Oshkosh, you can find it at any number of vendors in the fly market also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime