Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wires

Default Re: Wires

Sorry to add more work, I'm waiting on my fuel pump to come back from the shop, and my exhaust
    to get back from the welders. There's no winning ... I'm wondering now after all these years if when
    I installed my exhaust whether there was any binding that later led to cracks ...

Seems everything in the plane with an "O-Ring" in it is leaking as well ... Fuel drains, valves, etc. (I only
    run Avgas, but this is 16 years since I built it ...

Jeff

Default Re: Wires

For what it’s worth, hardware store splices do not belong on an aircraft. See Jeff’s pic above. The coatings on the Tefzel coated wire strands are sensitive to moisture. I have seen entire spools ruined due to moisture penetration of the wire via an unsecured end. You should use environmental splices that have wax sealing plugs on both ends of the insulator.
    I was in the Navy as well wiring EP3s for 20 yrs. We used string tie as well as plastic zip ties. Either will work but do cut the zip ties flush with the clamp or you will regret it one day! Do NOT use wax string that is made with bees wax. It is organic and can/will mold.
    As a certified IPC/WHMA 620 Instructor, a good reference for terminating wires is the IPC/WHMA 620 manual. This doc defines criteria for Class 1, 2, and 3 interconnect terminations, securing harnesses and many other harness needs. It is not cheap but it will tell you what it should look like when you are done.
    Last edited by jmodguy; 03-08-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF