Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: W&B on floats

Default W&B on floats

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the best procedure for performing a W&B on floats, I understand three scales are used, but not sure on method, I have not yet aquired this aircraft, w&b on wheels I am ok with , just float configeration is what I would need...any help would be appreciated. thanks, It is a Kitfox iv-1200, with straight aluminum floats to go on, 1150's.

Wink Re: W&B on floats

Put two scales under the keels forward of the CG at a place where the float bottom is not curving up to much. Level the wings using shims of wood. You will want to use some thing anti-skid between the scales and floats.

Next use a piece of angle iron or a 4x4 that can go between the floats as far aft as possible. Think anti skid here too or you could use cargo straps to hold the beam under the floats. Center the 3rd scale under the beam so the plane is balanced left/right. Use a sturdy stand under the jack and put these under the beam. Level the plane fore/aft with this jack.

You will need to measure the distance from your datum to the contact points of the jacks. The best way is to use a plumb bob at your datum point with the plane perfectly level fore/aft. Mark the datum point on the ground and measure the distances fore/aft to the center of the jacking points.

This will make it like weighing a tailwheel plane. Remember to subtract any tare weights (stuff on top of the scales) from the scale readings and then do the math to determine the EW & CG.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: W&B on floats

Thanks for that reply, sounds very straight forward, and do able for me, I will be bringing this airplane home in a week or so, and can't wait to get her on the floats,