Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct seat pan installation?

Default Correct seat pan installation?

After removing the fabric seat I attempted to remove the cargo "bag" behind the seat. I found it captured under the seat pan even though it seemed to be velco'd in as well. I found the seat pan is being held in by two dozen zip ties. I also noticed a bunch of small holes in the pan. So now I'm wondering if the pan was meant to be screwed in or held in with zip ties? And I'm wondering if the pan should come out anyway for inspection.

Default Re: Correct seat pan installation?

The zip ties are a common way to attach the seat pan. That's how I installed mine. It should be removed for the condition inspection to provide free access to the controls, bungees, etc.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks Paul. I'll start snipping zip ties tomorrow night. The builder of my KF sure did use zip ties in places I wouldn't, so that's why I wondered about the seat. Thanks.

That's very normal, as it was the method detailed in the builders manual

Buy good quality zip ties, and use lots of them. I used to double them up when using 1/4" ties, now I use 3/8" ties.

Jeff

Thanks. Now when it comes time for your yearly inspection, what do you do about the seat belts? Please don't tell me you unlace those belts from the adjusters. I gave up and unbolted from the airframe and took them out with the seat pan. That was a huge pain in the butt.

I unbolt mine, the only way to get it out.

I pull the belts out of the adjusters. No problems.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I guess once I know the process and what needs to come out for my conditional inspection, it will be easier next time. I'm mad at myself for scraping the paint off the door frame getting the pan out. I'll touch it up and know better next time. I'm sure glad I did get the seat out as I see two things that must be fixed. One is both brake lines rubbing under the left aileron control rod and the end of the flap pushrod is rubbing the fabric at the aft end of the rod.

I always struggled with pulling the belts out of the adjusters , until a few years back when I took a razor knife and cut the thread from the end of the belt where it is folded over itself. No more tugging and pulling to get the belts out. When I put it all back together, I use a couple dabs of hot glue to put the belt ends back to their original rolled up configuration. Bruce N199CL

I unlace them as well. Works fine. As they wear in they get more flexible and easier to pull out.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com