Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radio problems

Default radio problems

Hello all!, After the first flight we noticed that we didn't have any radio communications to or from my series 6, I called garmin, ( I have the new gtr 200) and we went through the settings which were all normal. When I purchased the radio through Aircraft spruce I opted for a pre wired harness that included the headset jacks. Of course you put the male jack into the female radio jack all the way . Tonight I toyed with it alittle and pulled the larger headset jack out about 1/4 " and It worked perfect!! I was talking to someone 15 miles out and he could here me fine!
    We also didn't have intercom also,so I pulled the co-pilot larger headset jack out the same and wala!!! Anyone ever have this happen and what is the fix??? Other than that its running great I have 2.8 hrs on the engine now!

Thanks
    Patrick
    series 6 , 3 blade warp drive
    flying

Default Re: radio problems

What brand headsets are you using? Sounds as if the connector on the
    headset is not compatible with the aircraft jacks. Some noise canceling
    units use brand specific plugs and jacks.

you can take and look at the headset jack and slowly insert the jack and watch the connections to make sure they don't end up shorting out within itself when plugged in all the way. I had one of mine do that once. I bent the arms in the plug in just slightly and fixed it. worth a look. this is the part on the plane that excepts the headset plug. remove a panel or whatever to look at it work. make sure the connections make contact to your headset proper.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    What brand headsets are you using? Sounds as if the connector on the
    headset is not compatible with the aircraft jacks. Some noise canceling
    units use brand specific plugs and jacks.
    I'm using brand new David Clark and a older flight com headsets

I have had this issue a while ago and the problem was the female connector contacts shorting out when the jack was pushed fully home. The clearances are very small a slight bend to one of the connections fixed the problem, hopefully yours will be the same!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by phintz View Post
    Hello all!, After the first flight we noticed that we didn't have any radio communications to or from my series 6, I called garmin, ( I have the new gtr 200) and we went through the settings which were all normal. When I purchased the radio through Aircraft spruce I opted for a pre wired harness that included the headset jacks. Of course you put the male jack into the female radio jack all the way . Tonight I toyed with it alittle and pulled the larger headset jack out about 1/4 " and It worked perfect!! I was talking to someone 15 miles out and he could here me fine!
    We also didn't have intercom also,so I pulled the co-pilot larger headset jack out the same and wala!!! Anyone ever have this happen and what is the fix??? Other than that its running great I have 2.8 hrs on the engine now!

Thanks
    Patrick
    series 6 , 3 blade warp drive
    flying
    Hey everyone! Wanted to get back and let everyone know what I found! Turns out one of the pins were touching a screw for the panel mount , this shorted the radio out completely when pushed all the way home! Thanks to garmin tech support for pointing me in the right direction for troubleshooting!

Thanks Patrick
    Series 6 , phase 1 testing

I would love to tell everyone that the radio is working perfect , but I'm not quite there yet. I still have radio noise. It starts when you start it and it comes and goes. At worst it's when ya throttle up to around 5000 rpm and then sticks around. It seems to get faster with higher RPM's. Ok now here is when it gets tricky. If you pull out the pilot mic jack the noise stops completely. I have switched headsets and finally soldered on different jacks. Same thing! This is on the new Garmin gtr200 . I purchased this from Aircraft spruce along with a prewired radio harness. I am at wits end and have to clue what next to do! I switched the wire from the ignition mags to the key ingnition to shielded wire ( I grounded only the one end). It only being in one jack seems funny to me and am starting to wonder if it's in the harness, or the radio! Please someone help!!! The head electronics man and ACS is back from OSkosh tomorrow he's the one I've been dealing with so we'll see how the customer service is.
    Just curious but I know the Radio noise suppessor (capacitor) is wired correctly but how do I know it's working????????

Thanks all
    Patrick
    series 6 - trigear
    phase I testing (17.3 hrs)

Patrick,

Is the noise present at all times (transmitt and just listening) or is one or the other?

Dave S

Real obvious and I hesitate to even ask, but have you adjusted the squelch?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Unhappy Re: radio problems

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Patrick,

Is the noise present at all times (transmitt and just listening) or is one or the other?

Dave S
    Yes it's present at all times! It's so bad it's like I can't transmit. During noise only the copilot can transmit. I've tried the squelch at no luck either!