Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: MO Tech Counselor

Default MO Tech Counselor

Greetings,
    Last fall I purchased a IV Classic that needs a considerable amount of work. It all started last year at Oshkosh and I have been lurking here try to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I'm looking for a EAA Tech Counselor that has helped you guys, having first hand experience with Kitfoxes that would be able to stop by on occasion for a visit in southeast Missouri.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO

Default Re: MO Tech Counselor

A few basic questions are in order:

Do you have the builder's manual on the A/C?
    Has the A/C construction been completed or was it damaged?
    What is your experience background, such as ever owned an A/C, ever work on on?
    Did you ever build model airplanes?
    Work on cars?
    Wood worker???

The builder's manual is pretty complete, but a knowledge of the use of hand tools is a must.

I'm about 400 mile due South in Mississippi and could be persuaded to venture up that way one day. I'm in the process of getting my Type III back together after a towing accident. When I get that done I'll be looking for places to go.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Hello Kahle, I am near Springfield and know a couple of guys not far from here but if you are in the bootheel that's a ways. I am building a model 5 with most of the seven updates, slowly closing in on completion. Your welcome to come by and check it out if you like. Good luck with your project and hope you enjoy building as much as I do.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by cgruby View Post
    A few basic questions are in order:

Do you have the builder's manual on the A/C?
    Has the A/C construction been completed or was it damaged?
    What is your experience background, such as ever owned an A/C, ever work on on?
    Did you ever build model airplanes?
    Work on cars?
    Wood worker???

The builder's manual is pretty complete, but a knowledge of the use of hand tools is a must.

I'm about 400 mile due South in Mississippi and could be persuaded to venture up that way one day. I'm in the process of getting my Type III back together after a towing accident. When I get that done I'll be looking for places to go.

Cheers,

Mechanically I have all of the bases covered. Built boats, rebuilt a couple of cars, recently retired as a museum exhibit builder and developed/ built a retirement community which I now manage and maintain. As a exhibit builder for 24 years I worked with epoxies, urethanes, polyester and many other nasty things building trees, rocks, fish ect. Nothing you see in museums and visitors centers are organic. Ten years ago I started building my retirement community as a plan for my retirement and a career change came about. I really enjoy the change.

I'm currently working on my sport pilot license and have taken the basic plane building class at EAA. I got the flying bug flying with my neighbor and have always wanted to fly, but didn't have the time or extra cash to do so. The retirement community changed that.

The airplane was built by a school, flown one time, wings removed and disassembled, sold for parts and the landing gear removed by the previous owner. I have the build manuals and need to rebuild the engine(582), inspect all of the previous construction, rebuild the wings and replace the landing gear.

The only wrinkle is that our daughter is getting married next year and I would like to think she will stick to a budget, but I've been told I'm a dreamer.

Thanks for the help,
    Mike

I Just saw a set of Kitfox 4 wings for sale a day or so ago. Might have been on barnstormers. Think they were in Texas. Jim Chuk

Is that the plane that got hit by the tornado at Sun 'N Fun a couple years back?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Is that the plane that got hit by the tornado at Sun 'N Fun a couple years back?
    This one was built by a school, flown and disassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I Just saw a set of Kitfox 4 wings for sale a day or so ago. Might have been on barnstormers. Think they were in Texas. Jim Chuk
    Thanks. I'm checking it out.

It sounds like you have more than adequate skills to rebuild this airplane. A Tech Counselor would be good to keep you on track. Two heads are better than one.

Let me know if I can help.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying