Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

I am also an ardent 4 stroke Rotax fan but do not discount the Jabiru in your research.
    I recently installed a 2200 85 hp and am amazed at the performance. Full flight testing is still underway but how about this:
    Take-off weight 1200lbs
    Field elevation 550 ft
    OAT 77 F
    Rate of climb 800 fpm
    2000 ft AGL, strait&level 2400 rpm = 80 mph, 2600 rpm = 95 mph
    Prop is a 2 blade wood, South African made 60x35.
    Max static 2950, max speed S&L 3150 rpm = 120 mph
    The airframe is our Explorer, closely resembling the KF5.
    And to top it all, here that motor here costs us less than a third of what we pay for the 912S.
    Oh and the TBO is 2000 hours.
    The motor is beautifull with most parts CNC machined.
    The installation is neat and tidy with very little clutter.
    I am not an engine dealer, just an admirer.
    Those interested can follow the flight testing progress here:
    http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewt...=7627&start=75
    Last edited by Mogas; 05-28-2009 at 10:55 AM.

To MOGAS-I have a friend with a KFIV with the 2200-I'v flown with him several times-I'm impressed, maybe not quiet as strong as a 912 but a fine running machine and above all, he's very satisified with it. Something I'v noticed by reading the for sale adds in Barnstormers and Trade a Plane is that so many Lycs and Contintals have had a top end o.h. long before TBO.To each his own I guess.If you're happy,I'm happy.I've been flying a CGS Hawk for the last 12 years with a 503 Rotax and it's never let me down.I can't ask any engine to do any better than that.TBO came and went years ago. If you maintain it, it won't let you down.(no pun intended)
    Last edited by jrthomas; 05-27-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Mogas for the post. Good data to contemplate.

A few words about engine choices:
    No topic on an experimental aircraft forum will bring out more heated discussion, emotions and or sniping than engine choice. Engine choice is the one thing every builder really tries to, and needs to, do their homework on before committing to a purchase. We all have vested interests in the manufacturer we choose. We hang our lives on that choice every time we fly. If we have good success with a brand we'll feel good about recommending it to a new or prospective builder. People asking engine choice questions on a forum need facts. If you have experience with an engine brand, good or less than good, please contribute. That has real value to someone making such a large decision.

I already sense a slight deterioration of this thread so please let's keep it civil and helpful. Being enthusiastic about certain brand is no crime here but let's all try to incorporate something of value in our posts to the person asking for experienced opinions. Thanks for keeping it civil and Kitfox related.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It's great to log on and look at the development of this thread.
    I agree completely that we should avoid getting into a brand bashing contest.
    Far from it I would like to see as much performance data as possible, from as many sources as possible and hopefully accurate! so that we can all draw our own conclusions.
    I think any engine that has survived the evolutionary process is worthy of a close look at regardless of origin. But having said that I also think we would be foolish to ignore the up and coming alternatives.
    I cut my teeth on Lycomings and Continentals and I am also an admirer of these power plants.
    We are in a different position here in SA in that ALL our choices are imported, therefore cost plays a very important part and would perhaps help to explain why we generally are probably more receptive to other options.
    Thanks for the great forum and please keep those opinions coming!

Those of us with Kitfox I through IV or wanting to stay with light sport limits don't have much choice of engines. Even if the heavier engines would work, such as in a Model IV or V, it would cut deep into our load carrying range.

JATO anyone?

Can someone post the difference in weight between the Cont. and 912S? I think the installed weight of the Rotax is about 130 pounds. No idea what the weight of the Cont. is.

THanks

PS...I'm wondering how much useful load I would lose if I installed the Cont. over the Rotax.