Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

Default Re: Continental O200 or Rotax 912 S

It's great to log on and look at the development of this thread.
    I agree completely that we should avoid getting into a brand bashing contest.
    Far from it I would like to see as much performance data as possible, from as many sources as possible and hopefully accurate! so that we can all draw our own conclusions.
    I think any engine that has survived the evolutionary process is worthy of a close look at regardless of origin. But having said that I also think we would be foolish to ignore the up and coming alternatives.
    I cut my teeth on Lycomings and Continentals and I am also an admirer of these power plants.
    We are in a different position here in SA in that ALL our choices are imported, therefore cost plays a very important part and would perhaps help to explain why we generally are probably more receptive to other options.
    Thanks for the great forum and please keep those opinions coming!

Those of us with Kitfox I through IV or wanting to stay with light sport limits don't have much choice of engines. Even if the heavier engines would work, such as in a Model IV or V, it would cut deep into our load carrying range.

JATO anyone?

Can someone post the difference in weight between the Cont. and 912S? I think the installed weight of the Rotax is about 130 pounds. No idea what the weight of the Cont. is.

THanks

PS...I'm wondering how much useful load I would lose if I installed the Cont. over the Rotax.

My 7SS weighs 870 pounds and my friends with the Rotax weighs 840. Both of our planes are heavily optioned with 8.50 tires and the 1550 gear. If you use the new light weight 0-200 with light weight alternator and starter, it should be a little lighter than mine.

Mike
    Last edited by flybymike; 08-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Rotax 912 installed weight is around 135#.

The newest lightweight O200 is at about 215# installed. Also add the weight needed in the tail to keep the cg in range...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

With my 0-200 installation, I didn't need to use any added weight in the tail or sweep the wings. I did however, install my battery and ELT at the aft end of my extended baggage area.

What is the fuel consumption with a lyc/cont. vs a rotax? Is the added hp worth the fuel consumption cost?

Double the fuel consumption (6-9 gph) using aviation fuel versus auto gas and double the weight (250+ lbs for the Continental/Lycoming) why would anyone consider it a viable option over the Rotax?

Everyone seems to loves to hate the 900 series Rotax (), but there really is not a better option for powering a Kitfox/Avid type aircraft. Power to weight to fuel consumption to prop RPM range...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The 912 sounds to me like a more viable option for the STOL performance that kitfox is so known for. As stated previously it's lite weight....better fuel economy, and good power. I don't understand why someone has to use an engine company because they've been around since the 20's. I get that they may have learned a few things throughout the years, but new technology is what the "EXPERIMENTAL" market place is all about. Different designs and options to see what works.