Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 5 days and wheels up :)

Default Re: 5 days and wheels up :)

BUCKET LIST:

1 2500NM CROSS COUNTRY.... CHECK

We landed at our home base at 2:40 PM CST
    Drove home and washed the airplane off me

Maddie has already been telling everyone she has met since we landed that we went on an airplane trip

My goal,.. To give her a memory that will out last me, think I accomplished this as well
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I'm pleased to hear you completed your Bucket List trip. I just heard a report a a storm and. tornados in Nebraska. It was one bad looking storm. I must admit my trip to Weyers Cave VA was very memorable and I got to got to attend the Rotax repair & maintenance class. It took me 2 days to go about 400 miles because of weather. It was something I will never forget. I love the photos of your Kitfox. You definitely had some quality time with your daughter.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

My bucket list was a cross country that was 2468. pretty close to yours. mine went from here to OSH last year. very fun trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    My bucket list was a cross country that was 2468. pretty close to yours. mine went from here to OSH last year. very fun trip.
    How did you come up with 2468? It is definitely a challenge to be reckoned with for your first "real" long cross country.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    How did you come up with 2468? It is definitely a challenge to be reckoned with for your first "real" long cross country.
    well that is what came out on my flight plan. I just 2x the one way shot. sorry. I cheated though. I got there in 8 hrs. or there abouts. with a stop in rapid city for an overnight and visit to the presidents. I cheated, I took the RV. with a total of about 150 gallons and speeds of about 170kts.

there was some interesting things that happened. going across I went up to 11500 and had oxy and was getting a good tail wind of about 40kts. fuel burn was around 8.2. last bit into osh was low ceiling, but still was flying around 1000 agl. I had a friend leave before me and he was cruising at about 90mph and he stayed up north of osh for about 3 days waiting for his minimum of about 3000 agl.

On the way back we made it to rapid city again for more sight seeing and had a real bad storm going into and flew around the storm and landed. 2 days later we went to leave out and had cloud cover and finally cleared enough to punch through the clouds and ended up flying all the way to Missoula Montana at 12500 above solid clouds that went almost to the ground. was clear in Missoula as soon as I dropped 500ft I lost flight following. that's something about going through that area, radar coverage is really bad. the last little bit to Spokane was a solid storm through I90 so I had to go south and find a way though, I found that at st. maries Idaho. followed another track though cda lake and made it home. very exciting, can't wait to do another flight like that.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 06-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.

I fly quit a bit down to areas like independence Oregon and will stop at tri cities. my wife insist. when I took the trip to osh I had a trek along I90. I pre did my flight plan with aopa's flyQ. I had airports picked out about 1 hr intervals, that's 200miles or there abouts in my rv. all the way across. It come up on my phone as well, I had the phone set up so all the stops showed but didn't need cell service. what that did was allow me to review my airport picks the whole time I was flying. I came up to the first airport and said to the wife, do we need to land, she would say yes or no. if I could go on I would look at the list for airports and pluck it into the garmin 696 and continue. If she needed to land, we did, and I always filled up the plane on a stop, I never flew on without the fuel, I didn't care what it cost. I always had full airplane. My dynon d180 was also a very cool feature with the fuel totalizer in it and the ability to lean out the engine like I did.

I always have this thing in my mind, it's not how far you are going, it's one stop at a time. each leg is a new flight plan. Me and my wife like to stop every 1-2 hours, get out and stretch and relieve the obvious. I also love to land and take off, makes my flight.

I had an RV pass me south of Dallas, I was concerned I was stalling. He was moving down the road!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I set each leg of the trip up the same way Steve,..with options north or south routes,..luckily the way out we only had to divert twice,..but on the way back we re routed many times to avoid storms,..and even then we ran into a wall,..3 days to get back for a 10.6 hr flight all total back,..when we hit the Indiana / Illinois line we were head on with 2 cells one slightly north of our path,,one slightly south but they were wide enough that my chances of getting around them was pretty slim,..so we waited for them to pass,..as we waited..the closest cell discipated right in front of us,..the second took a more northerly path,,we went under it to the south,..about 3 hrs on the ground that time..but they had some awesome recliners and couches in the lounge so I wasn't complaining too much ha ha

Thanks Paul,..me as "old" as I am ..I'm always being accused of being Madisons Grand pa ..and she looks at the accuser and puts her hands on her hips..tips her head and says "He's my Dad! lol.. ( I look older then I am when I'm moving lol ) the leg braces and all ..sometimes I look like the tin man walking when he is rusted up lol) So yes,,I'm glad that I was able to do this with my youngest,..she will be telling her children about this adventure long after I'm gone
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I had an RV pass me south of Dallas, I was concerned I was stalling. He was moving down the road!
    my wife gets a big kick when I do that.

I like my kitfox for the low slow 20ft off stuff, can't be beat. Looong trips, rv all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    I set each leg of the trip up the same way Steve,..with options north or south routes,..luckily the way out we only had to divert twice,..but on the way back we re routed many times to avoid storms,..and even then we ran into a wall,..3 days to get back for a 10.6 hr flight all total back,..when we hit the Indiana / Illinois line we were head on with 2 cells one slightly north of our path,,one slightly south but they were wide enough that my chances of getting around them was pretty slim,..so we waited for them to pass,..as we waited..the closest cell discipated right in front of us,..the second took a more northerly path,,we went under it to the south,..about 3 hrs on the ground that time..but they had some awesome recliners and couches in the lounge so I wasn't complaining too much ha ha

Thanks Paul,..me as "old" as I am ..I'm always being accused of being Madisons Grand pa ..and she looks at the accuser and puts her hands on her hips..tips her head and says "He's my Dad! lol.. ( I look older then I am when I'm moving lol ) the leg braces and all ..sometimes I look like the tin man walking when he is rusted up lol) So yes,,I'm glad that I was able to do this with my youngest,..she will be telling her children about this adventure long after I'm gone
    one thing for certain. no two trips are the same.