Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another SS7 ready to fly

Default Re: Another SS7 ready to fly

Beautiful work, Jeff! Congratulations. That's a lot of work behind you. I recently logged 40 hours on my KFSS, so I'm free to victimize passengers now. This plane performs! Have FUN! Incidently, you're both fighting over that pink slip in the picture. Which one is the real 'Jeff'. Floog

And fly she did...First flight 5/30/2014 Didn't get the inflight pictures or video that I wanted from my crew (to far away) so I will update that later.

Congratulations, nice work
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Good for you Jeff! Love to hear more about the first flight.

-- Sed
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I'm sure everyone's first flight is unique. I had 7hours of dual in a Champ before I pushed the throttle in on the SS7/912uls and the lighter weight with no instructor, more power, and more responsive controls were a handful for me. Directional control on takeoff was not pretty. The flight felt very good. And the landing was acceptable. The second flight wasn't remarkable, but tonight...oh my! I took the doors off and flew from 7-8pm I wish I could have flown at night during my Phase I. Relaxing,enjoyable, I am on cloud nine as I write this. I did 15-20 touch and goes on sod and somewhere along the line my tail wheel springs came off. I don't know if I had them too loose or too tight. Wondering what to get and how to attach them so they don't come off again? Looking forward to my next evening flight.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

I know allot of ag pilots that toss the springs really don't need them . but they do save on the brakes a little ,..I agree evening flying with doors opened or off is awesome~!!
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    … somewhere along the line my tail wheel springs came off. I don't know if I had them too loose or too tight. Wondering what to get and how to attach them so they don't come off again? ...
    I highly recommend compression springs rather than extension springs. I've had better luck keeping them on rather than the hook-ended extension springs.

What type of tailwheel do you have?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

A wise old pilot looked my kitfox over before the first flight. The only thing he suggested to fix was to pinch the hooks on the tail wheel springs closed so they could not fall off.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    I'm sure everyone's first flight is unique. I had 7hours of dual in a Champ before I pushed the throttle in on the SS7/912uls and the lighter weight with no instructor, more power, and more responsive controls were a handful for me. Directional control on takeoff was not pretty. The flight felt very good. And the landing was acceptable. The second flight wasn't remarkable, but tonight...oh my! I took the doors off and flew from 7-8pm I wish I could have flown at night during my Phase I. Relaxing,enjoyable, I am on cloud nine as I write this. I did 15-20 touch and goes on sod and somewhere along the line my tail wheel springs came off. I don't know if I had them too loose or too tight. Wondering what to get and how to attach them so they don't come off again? Looking forward to my next evening flight.
    Congratulations, that is a beautiful airplane. Have a great time! Just finished the wings and your story propels me forward. Thanks for sharing.
    Best Regards,
    Stan

I used the Alaskan Bushwheel tailwheel and it comes with a very sturdy pair of compression springs with screw together "hooks" that can be locked with small cotter pins. Can't imagine them ever coming off. I'm sure AK BUshwheel would sell you just the springs and connectors.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS