Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IVO Light vs Med - Kitfox Speedster

Default IVO Light vs Med - Kitfox Speedster

I'm debating the Light vs Medium inflight adjustable IVO prop for my speedster. Seems to be a bent towards the IVOs in this forum, so I thend to follow whats working.

My question is should I use the Light or Med version. I've read comments about the mediums great descent characteristics, but little else about picking which one. My Speedster is has an 80hp Rotax (considering an upgrade to 100) so I'm curious as to others perspectives.

Thanks!

Default Re: IVO Light vs Med - Kitfox Speedster

Kelly, the Medium Ivo may be too much prop. for the 80 hp 912 Rotax engine.
    Most go with the Ivo Light on the Rotax 912 80 hp. engines and in fact I can't recall seeing an Ivo Medium on an 80 hp Rotax.

You can successfully use an Ivo Light on a 912S also if you want an Ivo on your 80 hp. now and upgrade to a 912 S 100 hp. Rotax in the future.
    I think the Medium is an all around better choice for the 912S engines but I am having good luck and great performance with the Light on my 912S and of course the Light is less money.
    I will say that the 912S 100 hp. is about max for the Light prop. to handle.

Recap:

Rotax 912 80 hp. = Ivo Light

Rotax 912 S 100 hp. = 1st choice - Ivo Medium
    2nd choice - Ivo Light

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Sorry to bring up such and old thread but.....

What prop diameter for the the IVO - light in-flight adjustable are most using? This would be for a 912UL 80HP.

Thanks,
    Scott

Mine is a 72".
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

72" on my 912S 100hp model 4. Works great.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

If you plan on 100hp I'd plan on a Medium. I had a Medium on a little 582 and it worked great with only 64hp. I am sure 80 hp will turn it just fine, and then you aren't limited later.

Kelly

I presently have a 68 inch GSC prop on my Model 5 Vixen long wing with the 80HP 912 engine. I will be replacing the prop soon and would appreciate suggestions from this great team of experienced Kitfoxers. I am considering IVO IFA (ultralite or medium?) What size? How about a Kiev or Cool prop? Does the IFA feature actually make much difference to a Kitfox?
    Any ideas would be useful. I don`t really want to collect a "hanger full of props" just like some folks have a "garage full of drivers&putters".
    Thanks for your input.

Don

Ivo ultralite for the 80 hp. Rotax. 72" in-flight adjustable.

Does the IFA feature actually make much difference to a Kitfox?
    YES.

Make the Ivo your first prop purchase and you won't end up with a wall full of aviation "art" like everyone else.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'm just sorry but my $500 3 bladed GSC wall clock looks just fine in my office. My IVO Ultralight also looks and works nice on my Kitfox III with early 912. It's the prop IVO recommended. Call them. They won't let you choose the wrong one.

Pete
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Smile Re: IVO Light vs Med - Kitfox Speedster

Hello fellow KF`ers

I have recently taken Steve`s recommendation in order to avoid excessive "hanger art".
    Just today I flew my new 70 inch IVO Patriot in-flight-adjustable and WOW what a difference!! This wasn`t the best test day weather wise for accurate performance figures but I am sure the difference will be spectacular. And super smooth, no vibration at all.
    I get full rpm on take off and just "course things up a bit" once off the ground. Climb is super.
    As near as I could tell the cruise at 5000 rpm is about 118 mph. This is almost 20 mph better than my old prop.
    I will post more accurate numbers after I have flown it more (and on a better day)!!! Thanks, Steve and others who responded to my enquiry.
    Don