Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: IVO Light vs Med - Kitfox Speedster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: IVO Light vs Med - Kitfox Speedster

Placard the switch: "Ground Adjust Only"

Problem solved.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

In response to Av8r3400, one word, "brilliant"! If we can placecard maximum cruise rpm to prevent a light sport aircraft from exceeding 138mph why not placecard an IFA prop switch "Ground adjust only". Cub Crafters pulled it off and leaves up to the pilot to limit cruise power to 80hp out of a 180hp engine. If that will flush with the FAA then Av8r's idea should be a breeze. James Thomas

Regarding Brilliant....Can't help responding.

Let's take the placarding a step further:

"SS7 Take off weight limited to 1320 pounds while operating as LSA; else 1550 pounds with gear upgrade"

Problem solved, opens up the options

Now don't you think the FAA will cooperate?

I know it's silly. It seems at first to be a violation to put an IFA prop switch in reach of the pilot but Cub Crafters pulled off putting 180hp within the pilots reach and leaving it to the honor system that the pilot won't ever use it to exceed max cruise limits. All this in a 900lb+ airplane with a 400lb load limit that the FAA trusts the pilot not to exceed. Cub Crafters makes it all legal with placecards. My agreement with Av8r was, just for the sake of discussion. If it works for Cub Crafters, why not Kitfox? To be realistic, DAR's see things differently. Some follow the letter of the manual and some interprete. There may be some DAR's that would let it slide. Anyway, I just jumped in the conversation as "Food for thought" ,"what if". I have a Speedster With a Kiev and have no desire for a IFA prop. James Thomas

Another Kiev disciple!
    I know I harp on about the merits of Kiev props but everyone I have met who flys behind one agrees - what they do to an aircraft's performance is quite incredible and they are one of the cheapest out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by jrthomas View Post
    I know it's silly. It seems at first to be a violation to put an IFA prop switch in reach of the pilot but Cub Crafters pulled off putting 180hp within the pilots reach and leaving it to the honor system that the pilot won't ever use it to exceed max cruise limits. All this in a 900lb+ airplane with a 400lb load limit that the FAA trusts the pilot not to exceed. Cub Crafters makes it all legal with placecards. James Thomas
    Be careful... The speed limit on a road is 35 and if going 45 and get caught you get a ticket... If you don't get caught.. then it didn't matter. In aviation it will most likely only matter with Insurance... very rarely a ramp check (but it does happen) On the other hand we need to stop calling the prop In-Flight Adjustable and rename them to something like Electric Adjustable Pitch It does say ground adjust not that it has to be manual.

The rule FAR 1.1: emphasis on the first line (ORIGINAL CERTIFICATION, has CONTINUED TO MEET the following_

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:
    (1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than--
    (i) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or
    (ii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
    (2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.
    (3) A maximum never-exceed speed (VNE) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a glider.
    (4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.
    (5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.
    (6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.
    (7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.
    (8) A fixed or autofeathering propeller system if a powered glider.
    (9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
    (10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.
    (11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.
    (12) Fixed or retractable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
    (13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.

Regarding CubCrafters Carbon Cub with a 180hp.. I could be corrected on the speed.. but I doubt a Cub can be pushed to 120 kts even with 180 hp... The ASTM rule comes into play. This is not true on the Experimental Amatuer Built aircraft... but an S-LSA must meet a minimum useful load requirement and the formula is based on continuous HP and number of seats. So CubCrafters restricts THEIR engine RPM to continuous operation of 80hp and you can use the max hp for up to 5 minutes (Rotax 912- 5500 continuous 5800 max 5 minutes) using the formula at 80 hp the Cub must have a minimum useful of 433lbs (887 Empty) and at the 180 hp 501lbs (819 Empty)..

Now.. how about the CC340 on a Kitfox
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"