Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oops, fried regulator?

Default Re: oops, fried regulator?

The easiest way to chase the wires is with the resistance function on the Fluke. I always do this when wiring unless I am running one wire at a time. Even then, I will often double check continuity with the Ohmmeter before powering up just to make sure. Switch to Ohms. Put one lead on one end of a wire and the other on the other end of the wire. Zero or close to Zero Ohms - Bingo. On my first project I had a collection of permanent markers in all available colors and marked each end of each wire with a color code. Putting a different colored mark or sequence of marks on the wires you have confirmed makes for unambiguous progress. I used the resistor color code and every series of marks reflected a number that was then noted on a spreadsheet. Very cumbersome by todays standards, but it worked over the years for identifying and chasing wires.

I work really hard so I don't release the smoke from anything. Someone once told me that any electric or electronic device is simply a tightly sealed smoke container. Your main objective when using or working on them is to never allow any of the smoke to escape. Once the smoke gets out, the device is toast. Mixing up wires is one of the easiest ways to puncture the smoke barrier.

Another thought. Have you checked the wiring with the basic wiring diagram in the builders manual to see if the wires terminate at the right place?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I'll do that. I know how to use that function and have a good ohmmeter now.
    I"ll look at the wiring diagram in the manual too. Thanks

If you already had it hooked up to those two wires, you won't do any damage by reversing them - it's just a voltmeter. Hook it up. If it works, tag the proper positive wire with a plus (+) sign for the future.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Smile Re: oops, fried regulator?

Ok, problem solved. try not to laugh. The wires in the instrument panel were shortened by the zip ties that were reinstalled after the panel work. It gave the appearance that the leads to the voltmeter were adjusted to length for each lead. (the short wire on + the long on -). This was wrong and when I tested the meter in the plane with a jumper wire reversing the polarity, the meter was fine. I cut the zip ties holding the wires from reaching the proper posts and reinstalled everything. ... Planes.

Simple solutions to would-be complex problems are always for the best. Thanks for sharing.

My plane - and most every other one - suffers the same problem: they are wired fully in only one color, white. Why do we do this to ourselves??
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Glad the solution was fairly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    My plane - and most every other one - suffers the same problem: they are wired fully in only one color, white. Why do we do this to ourselves??
    As is mine. There are fairly simple solutions. A very short piece of red heat shrink tubing on the end of each (+) power lead and black on the other is one way. There are also sources for colored Tevzel insulated wire.

Wire Label 1.jpg

Then for the other sender or signal wires, the typed label under clear heat shrink works well.

Wire Label 2.jpg

Granted it takes more time during the building, but it is sort of like an IRA. It can pay dividends in time later on.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I use no zip ties on wire bundles . they can cause too many problems , especially with the small 22-24 ga wire that the computers use . either damage to the wire when installing them or inadvertently dyking or nipping a wire trying to remove them . saw it lots of times on the big jets . all my wiring is tied with string tie , long ago that was all Boeing used to tie up all their wire bundles .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa