Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SFO Bay Area Foxes?

Default SFO Bay Area Foxes?

Hi Kitfox Lovers especially out west,

I have found a Kitfox I want to buy.

Only problem is, I am in Atlanta, and it is in the SFO Bay area.

Could anyone go look at it? Not looking for an annual type look over, just a prebuy look over by an knowledgeable Foxer.

I'm happy to pay expenses (non commercial of course).

Then she needs a trip back east. I have checked ferry pilots, but none have KitFox time.

Rather than burden the list, please contact me directly if this might be possible in the next week or so.

Thanks, Grant

Default Re: SFO Bay Area Foxes?

Grant,

I'm going to reply here as I think it is a subject of interest to many.

You can get almost any mechanic to do a pre-buy inspection. No IA required. A few phone calls to the airport where the airplane is based will get you several candidates.

For transport to Atlanta with a ferry pilot, you are looking at fuel, food lodging and airfare for the return trip. The airplane is at risk crossing the rockies and weather delays or mechanical issues can drive the cost way up.

Why not contact a transport company like Partain to put it in a box trailer and haul it to Atlanta? The cost is reasonable and the risk is low.Transport in a box van also allow you to address any inspection issues at your home base. That can affect the price if you agree to fix the discrepancies and take the airplane as is.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Hi John,

Thanks on the tips. Checked out transport, It is $1.50 a mile. Ouch, that winds up over $3600, or about the same price as a 24 foot rental truck+gas+lodging. For this priced airplane, that's a game changer.

Ferry pilot quote was half that for experienced one who knows how to go south before east, Bakersfield to El Paso, etc.

Cheers, Grant

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Grant,

I'm going to reply here as I think it is a subject of interest to many.

You can get almost any mechanic to do a pre-buy inspection. No IA required. A few phone calls to the airport where the airplane is based will get you several candidates.

For transport to Atlanta with a ferry pilot, you are looking at fuel, food lodging and airfare for the return trip. The airplane is at risk crossing the rockies and weather delays or mechanical issues can drive the cost way up.

Why not contact a transport company like Partain to put it in a box trailer and haul it to Atlanta? The cost is reasonable and the risk is low.Transport in a box van also allow you to address any inspection issues at your home base. That can affect the price if you agree to fix the discrepancies and take the airplane as is.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I was in the same spot when I was purchasing the Avid I PM'd you about. It had a trailer and my dad and I were thinking about meeting in Colorado. Problem is the plane is so wide an enclosed trailer is going to be tough to find. In hind sight I'm glad that deal fell through. It was bad enough trailering my KF IV 50 miles home from southern Indiana.

See if you can find any FBO's in San Carlos, Hayward, Oakland, or San Jose that will take a look for you. 20 years ago I could give you names and numbers, but Indiana has sapped my brain.

Jay