Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Canadian License - US Equivalent

Default Canadian License - US Equivalent

Hi there,

I'm a US citizen living in Canada. I have a Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP). This is one step below a Private Pilot License (PPL). I can fly a 4 passenger plane up to 12,000 lb gross but am limited to one passenger.

What would be the equivalent US license and what would I have to do to obtain it?

Thanks,

Gary

Default Re: Canadian License - US Equivalent

Gary,

The cut to the chase is go to the guys that issue the Certificates.

For the FAA Field Offices:

A good start would be to see the link to the Flight Standard District Offices below, select a state and find their contact info

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

Otherwise - start with the central offices - here is the link to licenses and certificates

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/

If you call them - use their lingo - helps convince them you know what you are doing. For instance, there is no such thing as a private pilot license....it's a private pilot certificate.....Pilots are "certificated"....I am sure we are some other "....ated" things also....But for the pilot stuff it is a certificate.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

Thanks Dave for the suggestions. Up here, all of us less than Private Pilots are 'limited' to Permits vs a License.

Love those words- license, certificate, permit.

Gary
    Looking for a Kitfox 5,6, or 7
    Selling a Titan Tornado ll 912-80

Gary,

I know there is some stuff out on the FAA's website regarding how the paperwork converts, but I don't recall right off hand where that is.

The lingo is interesting.........there is a famous saying credited to a US Naval officer (Hyman Rickover)....."If you are going to sin, be sure it is against God rather than the bureaucracy....that way you have some hope of being forgiven." Maybe a little harsh, but in working with regulatory agencies, it always helps to meet them on their terms.

During our build, I made the fatal error of having my first and last name switched between the registration paper and the data plate - first-last on the data plate and last-first on the registration - had to make a correct data plate.....But the N numbers were good on the plane - they measured 2 thousands of an inch bigger than required - and everything else passed.

Good luck in your search; and, hope you soon find a Kitfox the buy.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Hi Gary,

As one option, why don't you just upgrade to a private? I think you only need an additional 7 hours of dual. Then convert your Canadian private to a US private

The equivalent license for your Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit in the USA would be somewhere between the US Recreational Pilot and the Sport Pilot License.

However, there is no agreement between the FAA and TC for conversion of Recreational or Sport Licenses.

FAR 61.75 specifies that conversions are possible for PPL, CPL and ATP
    AC61-135 outlines the procedures for conversion.

I would also recommend you get a Canadian PPL and then convert that. It does require you to have a medical (stamp) certificate on your TC permit at the time of application to validate the PPL and also get an FAA 3rd class medical. There is a simple written on communications and air laws, but no flight test for conversion. The procedures for verification and conversion are outlined in the AC61-135. Most of it is done by mail. I have helped several pilots do the conversion and it's not difficult.

Other than that you would have to qualify from the beginning with US CFI instruction, endorsements, written and take a practical flight test. Not the way to go.

Recreational and Sport pilot permits and licenses were a great way to get pilots to complete training and get in the air, but there are a few bug bites attached like the conversion issue.

Not the news you wanted, I'm sure, but getting a Canadian PPL sounds like the easy way to go. When you get a FAA conversion you will actually hold both. You don't have to surrender your Canadian PPL.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas