Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LLE and Fuel tank

Default LLE and Fuel tank

Hi all,

Just thinking about my yet to be ordered kit and the LLE option and if to go for this option at all.
    I think I am correct in understanding that it comes in two pieces and joins at rib#5. Just wondering if folks are also cutting and making a join at the edge of the fuel tank (I think rib# 3)to make changing a fuel tank slightly easier if and when, heaven forbid, in the future a tank happens to leak. Or is this not the thing to do?
    Also any comments for or against the LLE would be appreciated. The added weight v benefit v appearance etc.

Alan

Default Re: LLE and Fuel tank

alan , don't know anything about the leading edge kit but i have some experience with the gas tanks leaking . be sure to leak check them good before installing them . i had a new tank that leaked and luckily found it before i installed it . when the hole was drilled for the outlet , the drill had gone too far in the tank and cut into the tank on the other side of the little sump area by the outlet . being the standup people that they are , the mcbeans made it right .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I don't know how much they improve performance, but they do improve the appearance of the wing. I installed them according to the instructions and would not cut them at the tank until repairs are needed.

Chuck/Bill, Thanks for the advice....much appreciated.

Part of the charm of a Kitfox is the rag wing appearance. Some paint jobs actually emphasize the scallops on the leading edge.

The leading edge kit has not been shown to be of significant advantage in performance. Adding weight just to make it look more like a metal wing is somewhat a move in the wrong direction. But that's why they make Fords and Chevys. Everyone likes something different. Maybe an all metal wing Kitfox will show up some day.

jp

Great thoughts John..Thanks.
    I change my thoughts day to day on if going with the LLE option, with maybe slight performance gain and the smooth look is worth the extra weight and any issues with a tank change further down the line. Of course there is also the $1000 dollar saving if I don't go with it to consider!

A couple of thoughts on the LLE: I don't believe the weight gain is much at all because the LLE eliminates the full span plastic extruded leading edge which is quite heavy. Also, I agree with John in liking the ragwing look of the scalloped leading edge. There is also some thought that the scallops act somewhat like VG's, actually improving the wing performance, or at least offsetting any performance gain with the LLE.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I went with the LLE because I want to actually scientifically experiment with VGs. The LLE is quite light and I think adds very little weight over the extrusion piece.

That's just me

However, if you had a leaking tank, I would just cut the LLE at the time of tank removal. It will be a simpler job than the fabric patch.

I thought read somewhere the LLE added 2.5lbs per wing...is this not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Part of the charm of a Kitfox is the rag wing appearance. Some paint jobs actually emphasize the scallops on the leading edge.

The leading edge kit has not been shown to be of significant advantage in performance. Adding weight just to make it look more like a metal wing is somewhat a move in the wrong direction. But that's why they make Fords and Chevys. Everyone likes something different. Maybe an all metal wing Kitfox will show up some day.

jp
    I agree with John somewhat. You can always recognize a Kitfox approaching by the way the sky reflects off the top of the wing. But....

The Harry Riblet airfoil only has its full cord design contour over the wing tank, rib cap strips and false ribs. This amounts to about 37 of the 156 total inches of leading edge per wing (24%). Airfoil designers will tell you that the most critical section of an airfoil is the leading 10%. of the top surface. One of my best Kitfox buddies has heard Harry Riblet himself comment on that when discussing the Kitfox wing.

I have mentioned that I have the poor mans leading edge - aluminum. I find that stalls are much more docile, especially full power stalls, than my first Model IV in which they were exciting to say the least. Stall speed is a couple of mph slower. I figure my added weight is about 10 lbs. as I eliminated the top false ribs. Would I do it again? Yes, but would have to think about the $$$ with the LLE.
    Last edited by HighWing; 04-04-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel