Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hangar or Tie-Down Near Barstow, CA

Default Hangar or Tie-Down Near Barstow, CA

Gents-

Getting orders to Fort Irwin, CA in the near future. California seems daunting reference general aviation, and I can't seem to find any information on hangar or tie down availability. Can anyone speak to the location from past experiences and offer direction or advice? I would be living in the Apple Valley/North Victorville area. As it sits now, it looks like my S7 will be on the market soon .

I'm concerned I've grown accustomed to the freedoms of Alaska and the affordability of tie down fees here. I can't imagine how exuberant the cost of hangaring or tying down a bird in Southern California is going to be. I'm trying to treat this assignment with an open mind like all the others (15 years in and I've had some bad ones!), but right off the bat, my guns and airplane are looking to be a victim of circumstance.

Hopefully someone can offer some sage advice or at least a success story about the location.

Cheers!

AW

Default Re: Hangar or Tie-Down Near Barstow, CA

SoCal aviating is alive and well!!!
    I can’t tell you anything about hangars or fees in the High Desert but having lived and flown out of Whiteman near Burbank I can tell you that there are a lot of wonderful flying opportunities, airport socializing and people.
    Fear not!
    You can have a BLAST flying in Southern California.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

There's a group called Socal Backcountry Flyers on Facebook that might have some good info. I doubt prices in that area will be too bad compared to within LA. Your guns will be fine, plenty of property gun folks in CA.

Default Hangar or Tie-Down Near Barstow, CA

Don't be so hasty in selling your KF. There are plenty of flying opportunities in S. CA and adjacent states like AZ and NV. Barstow, Apple Valley, Adelanto, Victorville, (VCV), and Hesperia Airports are in the vicinity of your next assignment, and are pretty welcoming to general aviation. There are a lot of things for the S. CA general aviator to explore.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Wholly Crap, Don't sell it yet. Look for my private message. I will see what I can do to help you look depending on how much time we have. I will be seeking reasons to fly here in about 7 more hours after phase one is done. I might be able to fly around to different places with a purpose and look for space. Down in the LA basin you would be looking at around 400-500 bucks for a T hangar. Chino is an hour drive from Apple Valley and I know you will be passing other options along the way so we may be able to find something closer and less costly.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X