Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a "wet" compass required in a home built?

Default Re: Is a "wet" compass required in a home built?

Very helpful!! Thanks to all that replied. I have a Dynon Flight dek 180 and hope to fly at night. I may upgrade the panel to IFR in the future. So it sounds like I am good to go for my mid-May inspection. Thanks for the info about securing the fuel lines. I will use quick ties and protect the powders coating with the orange rubber tape.

And for the Canadians out there who are looking for an answer this is a letter from TC clearing up the issue:

To:------------------
    CC: vanessa.levesqueattc.gc.ca; CAIRS_NCRattc.gc.ca
    Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:58:31 -0400
    Subject: CAIRS# GV-3554

Dear Mr. ------------------

As you are aware, the recent concerns you expressed in your submission of February 9, 2011 in connection with the requirement for a stand-alone liquid-filled compass, were entered into the Civil Aviation Issues Reporting System (CAIRS) and were assigned file number GV-3554. As a result of my review of the above referenced file I would like to take this opportunity to provide you with the following information.

Paragraph 605.14 (d) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) states that “no person shall conduct a take-off in a power-driven aircraft for the purpose of day Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight unless it is equipped with a magnetic compass or a magnetic direction indicator that operates independently of the aircraft electrical generating system”.

2. It is our understanding that the Electronic Flight Information System (EFIS) installed in your aircraft is connected to the aircraft electrical generating system, and that it comprises a back-up battery that will supply electrical power to the EFIS in case of a failure of the aircraft electrical generating system.

3. It is our understanding that the EFIS installed in your aircraft has to be turned ON for the remote compass module to become “alive” and indicate magnetic direction.

4. Therefore, we can state that the remote compass module installed in your aircraft is not independent of the aircraft electrical generating system. If it was indeed independent of the aircraft electrical generating system, there would be no need to turn the EFIS “ON” in order to get a compass reading.

5. Hence, the reason why, during the course of the final inspection of an amateur-built aircraft construction project, Minister’s Delegates – Recreational Aviation (MD-RAs) have been instructed to verify that a stand-alone liquid-filled magnetic compass is installed in the aircraft. If none is installed, the MD-RAs have to enter a discrepancy (snag) on the inspection report.

6. A stand-alone liquid-filled magnetic compass is still the easiest way to comply with the requirements of CAR 605.14(d).

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your views, as all comments we receive are appreciated.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Maurice A. Simoneau at 613-990-9490 or via e-mail at maurice.simoneauattc.gc.ca.

Sincerely,

Jacqueline Booth
    A/Director Standards

I have a "wet compass" and don't plan on changing. But the builder of my bird used tie wraps for everything, including fuel lines. I'm going to change them all to Adel clamps this summer. Along with all the fuel lines. She's been in storage for ten years!