Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a "wet" compass required in a home built?

Default Is a "wet" compass required in a home built?

Is the standard compass required? Can anyone direct me to the regulation if so. And could someone show pictures or describe their technique for securing the fuel lines to the structure behind the pilot's head. I guess I am concerned about a quick tie cutting through the fuel line. Thanks.

Default Re: Is a "wet" compass required in a home built?

I don’t have a wet compass in my SLSA Kitfox. I have an Electronic Advance Flight System.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have a vertical card compass in mine
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Here is a Picture of my Panel, it took me a while to find it. Everything is in the Advanced Flight System, there is another Air Speed indicator on the Passenger side, and if I pull out my iPad I have another Compass!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

For VFR day - No, for VFR night or IFR - Yes. EAA summary of FAA requirements here: http://www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/...quirements.pdf

Greg

FYI the summary only says Magnetic Direction Indicator. I didn't see anything about a Wet Magnetic Direction Indicator.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

My research into this resulted in no whiskey compass requirement. I do not have one and my ops limits include day and night vfr.
    I also used zip ties on the fuel lines behind my head.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hi jeff,

The FAA regulations that reference this state ".....a magnetic direction indicator..." does not specify what kind of "magnetic direction indicator".

On the ties, they will not cut into tygon or rubber hose - unless someone reefs on them with a 18" channel lock or something like that. Nylon ties are more likely to cause wear on the metal tubing they lap over than cut any of the hoses. FYI - my DAR was pretty clear that high vibration areas on critical components...the engine mount in particular, should not use nylon ties because of the potential for wear into the metal tube coating, etc. I tended to accept his recommendation.....many years doing boeings, etc. on his day job.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp drive
    St Paul Minne-snowta - Land of 10,000 off airport landing sites in the winter.
    Last edited by Dave S; 03-31-2014 at 06:49 AM.

This subject comes up pretty frequently.

The answer is "maybe"

FAA order 8130.2G buries the answer deep in the document.
    If you have an Experimental Aircraft either E-LSA or E-AB and fly only during daylight VFR then no instruments are required. No compass.

This rule does not apply to S-LSA aircraft. They have their set of requirements listed by the manufacturer, much like a Minimum equipment list.

Your experimental certificate will be limited with the following:

"After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately
    equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with § 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only."

If you fly at night or IFR then 91.205 kicks in. But note that the requirement says "magnetic direction indicator." This may be an electronic sensor or display such as a Dynon.

So there are your legal references.... FAA Order 8130.2G (change 1) and FAR 91.205.

Pretty simple, really.

John is correct. He reiterated what was stated in the link I gave. The OP said "wet" in the title and said "standard" in the body of his 1st post and did not mention installing any other "electronic" equipment.

To clarify though - for night and/or IFR the "magnetic direction indicator" even if displayed electronically, must be magnetically sourced, such as the Dynon ADAHRS module or similar (not a GPS or Radio sourced signal).

I have heard that some DAR's/inspectors do not understand the rule and have interpreted them to infer "non stabilized" ie non electric, which is not the case. If you run across one of them - ask them to prove it or find another DAR.

Greg