Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: sight gauge install problem

Default sight gauge install problem

Ok, another question. I was putting the sight gauge on the wing tank nipples and i didn't really think to use ANY lube. The serated fittings are brass and the the tube is pushed on, to within a few centimeters of the fitting flange, but not quite. I couldn't pull it off if I wanted to but the book answer is to push the tubes all the way to the stops. If I heat it with a heat gun to push it on further, I may destretch the fabric of the wing or i fear that I will separate the fabric from the top of the tank somehow. my heat gun has temperature settings so I guess I could set it at 200 and try and heat the tube to soften it up for the last little push, or I could live with the install which i will be looking at every day to ensure its security. I am of the opinion that this tube will NOT leak nor will it ever come off without a knife being taken to it.
    Ideas?

Default Re: sight gauge install problem

Centimeters? or Millimeters?...2 1/2 centimeters is about an inch.

One trick a person might have some luck with is to fabricate a metal fork to slip over the fitting behind the tygon. (sort of like a spark plug wire puller). The Tygon works sort of like a chinese finger trap - pulling tightens it, but compression will loosten it....a bit...no guarantees.

A person can keep trying with pushing and that works sometimes if a person is persistent.

If you have the tygon over two of the barbs, I doubt that it will ever come off or leak...but you have to figure that out for sure.

Mostly on these if they have to come off like when replacing an old one......cutting does it.

A little lubrication does help with this.

Photo????

Sincerely,

Dave S

Default Re: sight gauge install problem

I put it on per manual, that is without lubrication. And ended up with a TE full of fuel, leaking down the drainholes when I landed......
    Lucky me, another FOX here in Holland had the same issue, and found his fuel leaking into the cabin. In full flight.
    I just pulled the tube out, put some fuel resistant stuff underneath, and away is the problem.